What is the best approach for solving the goniometric integral problem?

• Thread starter TD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation involved a student struggling with solving an indefinite integral and seeking help. They shared their progress and strategies, including using substitutions and trigonometric identities. They also discussed the difficulty of the integral and asked for further assistance. Another person suggested using integration by parts and the student was able to complete the problem with their guidance. The final answer was confirmed to be correct.
TD
Homework Helper
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with solving this indefinite integral.

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\frac{{6\cos ^2 x + \sin x\cos (2x) + \sin x}}{{2 - \sin x}}} } dx
[/tex]

I was able to lose the sin(x) and get a cos(x) out of the square root by doing this:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\frac{{6\cos ^2 x + \sin x(2\cos^2 x -1) + \sin x}}{{2 - \sin x}}} } dx
[/tex]

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\frac{{6\cos ^2 x + 2\sin x\cos^2 x -\sin x + \sin x}}{{2 - \sin x}}} } dx
[/tex]

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\frac{{\cos ^2 x(6 + 2\sin x)}}{{2 - \sin x}}} } dx
[/tex]

[tex]
\int \cos x{\sqrt {\frac{{6 + 2\sin x}}{{2 - \sin x}}} } dx
[/tex]

Then I did a substitution, [tex]y = \sin x \Leftrightarrow dy = \cos xdx[/tex] to get:

[tex]
\int {\sqrt {\frac{{6 + 2y}}{{2 - y}}} } dy
[/tex]

I think I can say this looks a lot better than the initial integral, but after that I used about 3 more substitutions and 2 sides of paper. I finally got something but it wasn't all correct I'm affraid.
I was wondering if I started out wrong or if someone sees an easy way to continue (or an easier to start).

Naughty integral if you ask me :bugeye:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks okay so far.Now try the sub

[tex]\frac{6+2y}{2-y}=t^{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

Hi, perhaps I should've went on but that's indeed what I did first.

I then got:

[tex]
\int {\frac{{20t^2}}{{(t^2+2)^2}} } dt
[/tex]

I was able to expand that to:

[tex]
\int {\frac{{20}}{{t^2+2}} - \frac{{40}}{{(t^2+2)^2}}} dt
[/tex]

The first one is no problem, I can easily get there with a ArcTan like this:

[tex]
\int {\frac{{20}}{{t^2+2}}} dt = 10\sqrt 2 \arctan \left( {\frac{{\sqrt 2 t}}{2}} \right) (+ C)
[/tex]

But what about the second one? I know it gived an ArcTan as well, but not only that. I've seen recursion formula's for it but is there a way to do it 'by hand'?

PS: I read you're temporarily in Leuven, I study in Brussels - that's very nearby :biggrin:

U could have easily done it using part integration

[tex] 10\int t \ \frac{d\left(t^{2}+2\right)}{\left(t^{2}+2\right)^{2}} =-10\frac{t}{t^{2}+2} +10\int \frac{dt}{t^{2}+2} [/tex]

Can you take it from here...?

Daniel.

Last edited:
Of course! Then I get:

[tex]
\int {\frac{{20t^2}}{{(t^2+2)^2}} } dt = 5\sqrt 2 \arctan \left( {\frac{{\sqrt 2 t}}{2}} \right) - \frac{{10t}}{{t^2 + 2}} + C
[/tex]

Susbstituting back:

[tex]\frac{6+2y}{2-y}=t^{2} \Leftrightarrow t=\sqrt{\frac{6+2y}{2-y}} \,\,\, gives:[/tex]

[tex]
5\sqrt 2 \arctan \left( {\sqrt {\frac{{y + 3}}{{2 - y}}} } \right) + \sqrt 2 \left( {y - 2} \right)\sqrt {\frac{{y + 3}}{{2 - y}}} + C
[/tex]

Susbstituting back:

[tex]y=\sin x \,\,\, gives:[/tex]

[tex]
5\sqrt 2 \arctan \left( {\sqrt {\frac{{\sin x + 3}}{{2 - \sin x}}} } \right) + \sqrt 2 \left( {\sin x - 2} \right)\sqrt {\frac{{\sin x + 3}}{{2 - \sin x}}} + C
[/tex]

I hope that's it. Finally, thanks :smile:

Yep, took a bit of messing to check it was the right, but it is.

Yes, I had Mathematica take the derivative and after FullSimplify, the initial expression almost identically rolled out. Just had to put the cos (and a factor) back in the square root :smile:

1. What is the Goniometric Integral Problem?

The Goniometric Integral Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of a function that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. This problem is often used in calculus and is important in many areas of science and engineering.

2. How is the Goniometric Integral Problem solved?

The Goniometric Integral Problem is typically solved using integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. These techniques allow us to simplify the integral and eventually solve it using basic integration rules.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Goniometric Integral Problem?

The Goniometric Integral Problem has many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and oscillating systems.

4. Can the Goniometric Integral Problem be solved numerically?

Yes, the Goniometric Integral Problem can be solved numerically using techniques such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Gaussian quadrature. These methods involve approximating the integral using a series of smaller, simpler calculations.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving the Goniometric Integral Problem?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving the Goniometric Integral Problem include forgetting to use trigonometric identities, making mistakes in integration by parts, and not being aware of the domain restrictions of the function being integrated. It is important to carefully check each step and be familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions.