Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gonzales -vs- Ashcroft

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    Here is the transcript of yesterdays congressional testimony of former Deputy Attorney General James Comey.

During Ashcroft's hospital stay Comey was acting Attorney General. He refused to sign off NSA wiretapping, since the Justice Department had determined it to be illegal. Gonzales and Andrew Card tried to get Ashcroft to sign off on the NSA spying scheme while he was recovering from pancreatitis

Is there any doubt that these people will stoop to any level to achieve their objectives.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I heard about this yesterday - that Gonzales went to Ashcroft, who was in hospital.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10192754
    Unbelieveable. These people have no shame. :yuck:

Good thing there was a witness. :uhh:

Arlen Specter has had enough of Gonzalez.

4. May 16, 2007 #3
    It is human nature to see others as a reflection of ones self.

They have no shame because they believe that all people are bad by nature.

They are their own bad example.

But they have an ace in the hole. :tongue:

All they have to do is believe in Jesus and all their sins will be washed away. o:)

5. May 16, 2007 #4

They don't have to believe in anything. All they have to do is claim that they believe and the religious right will forgive their transgressions.:rolleyes:

6. May 16, 2007 #5
    That is sadly true.

BTW is the reverend Ted Haggard still a good hetrosexual?

7. May 17, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What gets me is that Bush authorized the wire taps even though his AG [Ashcroft and the acting AG, Comey] said it was illegal.

Is it any wonder why we now have Gonzales as AG?

8. May 17, 2007 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

9. May 17, 2007 #8
    It was a miracle. The thought of losing his mansion scared him straight.:rofl:

10. May 18, 2007 #9
    It appears that Gonzales and Card have broken the law.

11. May 18, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should quote the more relevant portion of the article:

The program was classified at a level where the program's very existence was classified. I'm not sure how you can discuss it very circumspectly when you can't even mention the program exists, let alone whatever Gonzales and Card may have said about it. Using creative methods to 'talk around' classified info is a disaster waiting to happen.

I wouldn't find it hard to believe that whatever they may have said was a security violation - one serious enough to have some repercussions for the average person. I doubt it would fall under "intentional disclosure", though.

I'm also a little confused by Parker's comments, considering she has worked in the NSA.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  12. May 18, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well I guess one can refer to "the program which cannot be named" involving "he who must not be named" with a lot of nod, nod, :wink: :wink: . :biggrin: Say no more.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  13. May 19, 2007 #12
    I don't see a problem there. He could simply say:

"Remember the subject of our last meeting?

Gonzales and Card are on their way here to discuss it with you inappropriately."

[edit] A nods as good as a :wink: to a blind man eh Astronuc.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  14. May 19, 2007 #13
    The Whitehouse is having a hard time talking about it.

From yesterdays press gaggle with Tony Fratto:

Yes, the ultimate authority and responsibility rests with the President of the United States, and it is well past time he and his cabal were held accountable!

15. May 27, 2007 #14
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?