1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good A-level mathematics textbooks?

1. Jul 17, 2005 #1
    I plan to do a 'technical direction in computer animation' course at uni next year for which A-level mathematics is required to enter at year one (was meant to be going this year but can't get funding :frown: )

The textbook 'Core Maths for A-Level' (1990 edition) I'm studying from at the moment has been kindly lent to me by the maths department of my local college. It's an excellent book but I have to give it back soon, and I think I'm missing out on a quite a bit of newer material.

Does anyone know of any damn good textbooks that are worth investing in? I want to have as broad a knowledge as possible not because I feel I have to...but because I enjoy the subject.

(most of the books I see in local bookshops are the kind of revision books that don't deal with proofs, and expect you've already covered the material but need refreshing...I've done a search on amazon.co.uk and the latest version of the book I'm using now is about 200 pages shorter...which worries me a little)
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can suggest I really good web site that has good example questions and stuff: http://www.mathsnet.net/asa2/2004/index.html

But in the short time it has been since I've done A-level they've changed all the modules around and I've no idea what's what anymore.
  4. Jul 17, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found the Heinemann series of A-level maths textbooks for the Edexcel courses to be really good. The modules have been fiddled with since, but the maths is still the same! :smile:
  5. Jul 17, 2005 #4
    cheers for the help and quick replies folks :smile:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  6. Jul 17, 2005 #5
    We had the OCR course books (each one specificially for each module) when I did my A-Levels. Back then, they went as far as P1-P4, S1-S4, D1, so if you're looking at further maths you might be caught short, or there may be more now. They're good as they've got targetted exercises too.
  7. Jul 17, 2005 #6
    Cheers James :smile: ...gonna hafta look further afield than amazon.co.uk though cos they don't seem to stock all the books in a set :frown:

if anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to chip in :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?