Good and Evil

Just as a side note, the German army wasn't directly involved in the Holocaust. That was a higher-level affair but that's a history topic.

All I'm saying is that plenty of evil or bad things are very well ordered. I think history shows that in their perverse logic, the Nazis thought they were doing a good for the German people. We judge that logic as madness but in-itself it was ordered.

In a coldy logical sense, we should eliminate 60% of the Earth's surplus population because there's not enough resources to go around. Obvioulsy that's an evil idea but in a world divorced from absolutes it makes perfect sense.

Numerous religions believe in an evil being or force - the devil for example in the Catholic religion. As most Western cultures are based on judea-christian ideals the idea of good and evil is highly prevelent being as the Torah and Christian Bible both have long and detailed references to the devil.

The effect of this religious idea on mainstream conciousness is vast, look at the 'light' and 'dark' side in the Star Wars series as an example of the ability a Western person has to accept and identify with this idea of good and evil. This in built psyche leads me to believe we have an inbuilt idea to right and wrong - a measure that constantly changes due to circumstances and is a result of nurture for 96% and nature 4%.

I involve nature as if you look at some psycotic criminals they have a common chemical inbalance in the brain and also the same abnormality in brain development - hardly definite proof but perhaps an insight into the possibilities nature plays.

As for nurture, it is clear that depending on the value + moral system an individual grows up with - it will shape his judgement on what is right and what is wrong. Also, events can alter this. For example, after the terrorist bombings of London - people in England were recorded to have changed their attitudes on the whether a war on terror was morally justified - baring in mind its consequences. Before bombing - 15 % believed it was, after the bombings this figure rose to 45%.

Anyway just my 2 cents

re

Knowledge equals power, and how you use that power defines whether you are good or evil.

But what uses make it "good", and what uses make it "evil"?

Good and evil is all subjective, and the majority rules on this.

Majority of people think: Killing is bad. Suicide is bad. Rape is bad.

People are only judged insane because they disagree with what the majority of the world says. Hallucinations are a good example, but moralities can be too. I remember, in the movie Sin City, there was a kid who ate people because it "brought him closer to God". He thought it was good, others thought it was bad, and he was classified as insane.

What if, in a strange way, we're all insane on some scale? If we all disagree about something, that'd be unsolvable.

Last notation: People cannot give reasoning for their beliefs, except for religion, which is still belief, or that it is human nature.

Human nature/instincts; Could that be the source of morality?

The problem is, how to say good is realy good and bad is realy bad. In my posts I have mentioned the higer tought, and I have mentoned some examples. The world we are living in teaches us about good and evil. Now can we just throw away all years of this teaching. It is impossible. What am I try to say, is that all about good and evil is only cultural and belief derivation. A whole thing is a mirror of the human nature, if all the world polulation say YES and I say NO, instantly I wil be threated as evil. Look to some examples in history, inventors and sientists. The circle is closing in good, evil and knowledge which means power....