1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good book for math methods

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    I am planning on working through Dodelson's cosmology book, but I find my knowledge of things like Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials, and Fourier transforms lacking.

What're some good references for these things?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

While not the best , you could consider Arfken and Weber a catchall for Mathematical Physics with chapters on these functions. From there you could branch out into other references given by the authors.

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Do you have any good references on Fourier transforms? Arfken/Weber doesn't talk about them all that much. :/

5. May 21, 2013 #4
    I believe the forum standard for this sort of recommendation is "mathematical methods of the physical sciences" by Mary Boas. I have a copy myself and it covers all the topics you'll need in fairly good depth, I would recommend it personally.

6. May 21, 2013 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Electromagnetism books generally have good, concise treatments of Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials, and Fourier transforms. I recommend "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted