Good Books on Physicists: Biographies of Famous Scientists

In summary, the conversation revolves around recommendations for books on the lives of famous physicists. The original poster expresses interest in learning about the lesser-known aspects of these physicists' lives and asks for recommendations. Some suggestions are made, including "The Strangest Man: A Biography of Paul Dirac" by Graham Farmelo and "The End of the Certain World: Max Born" by George Gamow. The conversation ends with the poster expressing excitement about having something to ask for as a birthday gift.
nmsurobert
One of my instructors likes to talk about little aspects of the lives of famous physicists and it has made me really interested in these people.
Does anyone have any recommendations on any books that give a good little run down of of the life and times of famous physicists? I'm sure there are full biographies available for guys like Plank and Dirac but I'm looking for a book that talks about more of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
that looks like a good one. thanks!

any other suggestions?

A very good one is The Strangest Man: A Biography of Paul Dirac by Graham Farmelo.

Just a portion of my book shelf...

American Prometheus: Oppenheimer

Uncertainty: Werner Heisenberg

Beat of a Different Drum: Feynman

True Genius: Bardeen

Rosalyn Franklin: the Dark Lady of DNA

The End of the Certain World: Max Born

Great Solid State Physicists of the 20th Century

https://www.amazon.com/dp/048624895X/?tag=pfamazon01-20, by George Gamow

Includes a wonderful parody of Goethe's Faust that was performed at Bohr's institute in Copenhagen, in which Mephistopheles (Wolfgang Pauli) tries to "sell" Faust (Paul Ehrenfest) the idea of the neutrino (Gretchen). There's a scene in Mrs. Ann Arbor's Speakeasy (Auerbach Keller).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawking, "On the Shoulders of Giants"

awesome. thanks guys. my birthday is coming up and this will give me something to bug my gf about haha

1. What are some good books on physicists?

Some good books on physicists include "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman, and "The Strangest Man" by Graham Farmelo.

2. Are there any biographies of famous female physicists?

Yes, there are several biographies of famous female physicists such as "Curie: A Life" by Susan Quinn, "The Only Woman in the Room" by Eileen Pollack, and "The Fly in the Cathedral" by Brian Cathcart.

3. Are there any books that focus on the personal lives of physicists?

Yes, there are several books that explore the personal lives of physicists including "Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman" by James Gleick, "The Strangest Man" by Graham Farmelo, and "Strange Beauty" by George Johnson.

4. Can you recommend a book that covers multiple physicists?

"The Quantum Labyrinth" by Paul Halpern is a great book that covers the lives of several famous physicists such as Einstein, Bohr, and Heisenberg.

5. Is there a book that delves into the controversies surrounding certain physicists?

"The Disappearing Spoon" by Sam Kean explores the controversies and scandals surrounding famous physicists such as Marie Curie and Robert Oppenheimer.