Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good book on Transistors.

1. Jun 1, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,
    can anyone please suggest a good book on the theory of transistors. I want to study transistors from more of physics point of view i.e. how they actually work internally.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2013 #2
    My undergrad we used a book called Semiconductor Device Fundamentals by Pierret. It is the only book I have ever read on the subject but it seemed ok to me.

4. Jun 1, 2013 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shockley wrote well and his book Electrons and Holes in Semiconductors, With Applications to Transistor Electronics contains a comprehensive and understandable treatment of transistor physics (despite its age). Sze's Physics of Semiconductor Devices (2nd ed.) is an excellent modern treatment. (Watch out, he has different books with similar sounding titles.) Also I've read comments that the 3rd ed. is inferior to the 2nd...

5. Jun 3, 2013 #4
    Shockley is good for semiconductor physics, but it really help much to understand modern devices. Both Pierret and Sze are good. Often you can find a simplified but informative summary of device physics in any Analog IC textbook.

6. Jun 3, 2013 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook