Explore Math World: Best Books for Recent HS Grad Heading to College

• Thread starter phrygian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: A History of Mathematics (W. W. Norton & Company, Inc., 1986) by David Hilbert is both comprehensive and intimidating. It is written in German and is not recommended for someone who is not familiar with the language. For a more user-friendly introduction to the subject, I would recommend Bertrand Russell's Mathematical Logic (Oxford University Press, 2nd edn., 1959) or, more recently, David Parkes's The Mathematical Theory of Fields and Wave Functions (Oxford University Press, 2005)."
phrygian
I just graduated high school having taken AP calculus and am heading off to college this fall. I really enjoy math and have a great interest in it and am wondering if anyone can recommend me any good books on math to read this summer. I will be taking math classes at college so obviously I am not trying to learn everything in math but more looking for an overview of the world of mathematics if that makes sense.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend Foundations and Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics by Howard Eves.

There is also Concepts of Modern Mathematics by Ian Stewart and What is Mathematics? by Courant - Robbins - Stewart. My personal favorite is the first recommendation, though.

Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning - AD Aleksandrov, AN Kolmogorov, MA Lavrent'ev

"Mathematics: a very short introduction" by fields medallist Timothy Gowers FRS, Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University (i.e. the biggest of big cheeses in UK Maths -- Roger Penrose held the identical chair at Oxford). The book is especially appropriate for an 18 year old about to go off to University. Website:

http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~wtg10/

It's the best short overview I've encountered, though Ian Stewart is good as well.

From a totally different angle (psychological) try The Number Sense: How the Mind Creates Mathematics by Stanislas Dehaene. It's full of fun examples, like how they got Dobbin to count, chimps doing arithmetic, and babies spotting disappearing puppets...

"A Pure Course in Mathematics" by Hardy.
"How to Prove It" Velleman (sp?)

Not really overviews, but I would think very useful indeed.

Gower's "further reading" section is superb. He recommends books to readers with different kinds of interest -- history, applicability, formality, philosophy -- and for areas he doesn't cover, e.g., probability, women in mathematics. I like his subtle "maybe not for further reading" recommendations:

"Russell and Whitehead's famous Principia Mathematica (Cambridge University Press, 2nd edn., 1973) is not exactly light reading, but if you found some of my proofs of elementary facts long-winded, then for comparison you should look up their proof that 1 + 1 = 2."

1. What is "Explore Math World: Best Books for Recent HS Grad Heading to College"?

"Explore Math World: Best Books for Recent HS Grad Heading to College" is a curated list of recommended math books for high school graduates who are preparing to enter college. It is designed to help students continue to build their math skills and knowledge beyond high school.

2. Who should use "Explore Math World: Best Books for Recent HS Grad Heading to College"?

This list is primarily intended for recent high school graduates who are heading to college, but it can also be useful for anyone looking to brush up on their math skills or deepen their understanding of mathematical concepts.

3. How were the books on "Explore Math World: Best Books for Recent HS Grad Heading to College" selected?

The books on this list were selected based on their relevance to college-level math courses, their accessibility for high school graduates, and their overall quality and usefulness for learning math concepts.

4. Are these books suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

While these books are primarily intended for high school graduates heading to college, they can be useful for students at all levels of math proficiency. Some books may be more challenging for those with less math experience, but there are also options for beginners.

5. Can these books replace a traditional math textbook?

No, these books are not meant to replace a traditional math textbook. They are intended to supplement and enhance a student's understanding of math concepts and provide additional practice and enrichment.