Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books about linear aglebra

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    Hello, everyone,
    My major is physics.I want to study the representation of finite group and lie algebra. But I find my knowledge of linear algebra is limited, so I wanna study further about invariant subspaces, projection operator, linear transformation, similarity transformation and so on.
    Can you suggest me some good book about them? Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

Roman's Advanced Linear Algebra is great, but it might be too advanced.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like Axler, "Linear algebra done right". I have only read a small part of it, but I liked what I saw, and others have posted positive comments about it. You know, there's a whole science book forum here, with lots of threads like this one, so you should probably check those out to see what others have said.

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4

Landau

Science Advisor

Axler is good, but does not contain very much about projections and similarity tranformations.

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    Linear Algebra by Shilov is dirt cheap and very dense. Encyclopedic almost, and a great thing to have around. also it's expensive, but for reviewing and understanding the core of linear algebra, Strang's book is great. if you want a bit more abstraction/more in depth look at what's really going on underneath all that notation, halmos' "finite dimensional vector spaces" is excellent.

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Jan 26, 2010 #7
    It's a good book. It is a good book for who want to further study linear algebra.abstract and like an encyclopeadia. Thank you such much.

9. Jan 26, 2010 #8
    It's elegent and practical. Good book!Thank you so much!

10. Jan 26, 2010 #9
    Thank you again!Hehe

11. Jan 26, 2010 #10
    It is a good reference for me to study the representation of lie algebra. Thank you so much.I will read it often!

12. Jan 27, 2010 #11
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  13. Jan 27, 2010 #12

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a quick intro to projection operators, I like pages 209-212 of Friedman's "Foundations of modern analysis". (Unfortunately page 212 isn't included in the preview, but maybe you can find it somewhere else).

For representations of Lie groups and Lie algebras, I like Brian Hall's book. He focuses on matrix Lie groups so you can read it without knowing any differential geometry. To learn those parts that require differential geometry I recommend "Smooth manifolds" by John(?) Lee, and/or "Modern differential geometry for physicists" by Chris Isham.

14. Jan 27, 2010 #13
    Elements of Abstract and Linear Algebra, by E. H. Connell.

15. Jan 27, 2010 #14
    Thank you so much. Your suggestion is very constructive. I like to commuticate with you. I will send my email address to you.

16. Jan 27, 2010 #15
    thank you very much.But It must be a good book but I counldn't find it. It is really a pity.

17. Jan 28, 2010 #16
  18. Jan 28, 2010 #17
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook