Good books about linear aglebra

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for recommendations on books to study further about invariant subspaces, projection operators, linear transformations, similarity transformations, and representations of finite group and Lie algebra. The suggested books include Roman's Advanced Linear Algebra, Axler's "Linear algebra done right", Shilov's Linear Algebra, Strang's book, Halmos' "finite dimensional vector spaces", Lay's book, Friedman's "Foundations of modern analysis", Brian Hall's book on representations of Lie groups and Lie algebras, and "Smooth manifolds" and "Modern differential geometry for physicists" for understanding differential geometry. The conversation also mentions "Elements of Abstract and Linear Algebra" by E. H. Connell.
bobydbcn
Hello, everyone,
My major is physics.I want to study the representation of finite group and lie algebra. But I find my knowledge of linear algebra is limited, so I want to study further about invariant subspaces, projection operator, linear transformation, similarity transformation and so on.
Can you suggest me some good book about them? Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roman's Advanced Linear Algebra is great, but it might be too advanced.

I like Axler, "Linear algebra done right". I have only read a small part of it, but I liked what I saw, and others have posted positive comments about it. You know, there's a whole science book forum here, with lots of threads like this one, so you should probably check those out to see what others have said.

Axler is good, but does not contain very much about projections and similarity tranformations.

Linear Algebra by Shilov is dirt cheap and very dense. Encyclopedic almost, and a great thing to have around. also it's expensive, but for reviewing and understanding the core of linear algebra, Strang's book is great. if you want a bit more abstraction/more in depth look at what's really going on underneath all that notation, halmos' "finite dimensional vector spaces" is excellent.

Landau said:
Roman's Advanced Linear Algebra is great, but it might be too advanced.

It's a good book. It is a good book for who want to further study linear algebra.abstract and like an encyclopeadia. Thank you such much.

Fredrik said:
I like Axler, "Linear algebra done right". I have only read a small part of it, but I liked what I saw, and others have posted positive comments about it. You know, there's a whole science book forum here, with lots of threads like this one, so you should probably check those out to see what others have said.

It's elegent and practical. Good book!Thank you so much!

Landau said:
Axler is good, but does not contain very much about projections and similarity tranformations.

Thank you again!Hehe

Newtime said:
Linear Algebra by Shilov is dirt cheap and very dense. Encyclopedic almost, and a great thing to have around. also it's expensive, but for reviewing and understanding the core of linear algebra, Strang's book is great. if you want a bit more abstraction/more in depth look at what's really going on underneath all that notation, halmos' "finite dimensional vector spaces" is excellent.

It is a good reference for me to study the representation of lie algebra. Thank you so much.I will read it often!

Last edited by a moderator:
For a quick intro to projection operators, I like pages 209-212 of Friedman's "Foundations of modern analysis". (Unfortunately page 212 isn't included in the preview, but maybe you can find it somewhere else).

For representations of Lie groups and Lie algebras, I like Brian Hall's book. He focuses on matrix Lie groups so you can read it without knowing any differential geometry. To learn those parts that require differential geometry I recommend "Smooth manifolds" by John(?) Lee, and/or "Modern differential geometry for physicists" by Chris Isham.

Elements of Abstract and Linear Algebra, by E. H. Connell.

Fredrik said:
For a quick intro to projection operators, I like pages 209-212 of Friedman's "Foundations of modern analysis". (Unfortunately page 212 isn't included in the preview, but maybe you can find it somewhere else).

For representations of Lie groups and Lie algebras, I like Brian Hall's book. He focuses on matrix Lie groups so you can read it without knowing any differential geometry. To learn those parts that require differential geometry I recommend "Smooth manifolds" by John(?) Lee, and/or "Modern differential geometry for physicists" by Chris Isham.
Thank you so much. Your suggestion is very constructive. I like to commuticate with you. I will send my email address to you.

Gauged said:
Elements of Abstract and Linear Algebra, by E. H. Connell.

thank you very much.But It must be a good book but I counldn't find it. It is really a pity.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vector spaces, and linear transformations. It involves the study of systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is important because it has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It provides a framework for solving complex problems and understanding real-world phenomena.

3. Are there any prerequisites for learning Linear Algebra?

A basic understanding of algebra and calculus is helpful for learning Linear Algebra. However, many introductory books on Linear Algebra do not assume any prior knowledge and start from the basics.

4. What are some good books for learning Linear Algebra?

Some popular books for learning Linear Algebra include "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole.

5. How can I apply Linear Algebra in my field of study?

Linear Algebra has applications in various fields such as data analysis, image processing, machine learning, and optimization. It can help in solving problems and developing models in these fields by providing a powerful mathematical framework.