Radar Books: Analysis & Design w/ Matlab

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter chingkui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Radar
In summary, many people recommend Mahafza's "Radar Systems Analysis and Design using Matlab" as a book with clear derivations of results.
chingkui
Hi,

I am trying to learn about radar principles and functions. Although I have some DSP and communication background, it is still a very difficult subject by itself.

I am trying to learn the basic stuffs such as MTI, doppler radar, tracking, pulse compression, probability of false alarm and detection, etc. from Skolnik's "Introduction to Radar Systems", but I feel Skolnik's book is not the ideal book for me. I am a more mathematical type of person and am looking for a book that would derive the equations from a more fundamental level and in more details.

I read recommendations from Amazon for Mahafza's "Radar Systems Analysis and Design using Matlab" which seems to suggest it is easier to follow, does anyone have experience with this book or has some other suggestions for books with clear derivations of results? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This necro post has 2K views. Many people want the same thing. Can we help?

Cheney Fundamentals of Radar Imaging
Richards' Principles of Modern Radar and Fundamentals of Radar Signal Processing

Likes berkeman and anorlunda
Richard's Fundamentals of Radar Signal Processing mentioned above is a good modern text, but there are other sources as well.
1) Nathanson, Radar Design Principles and Skolnik's massive Radar Handbook, 3rd ed., both cover more material (including weather radar, synthetic aperture radar, tracking, etc.) and are intended for working radar professionals.

For mathematical rigor, I can recommend:
2) Wainstein and Zubakov, Extraction of Signals From Noise (1962). These Russian authors take nothing for granted--everything needed (Fourier transforms, the Schwarz inequality, Wiener-Khinchin theorem, etc.) is supplied along the way with a deft derivation. Although old, it is a very clear and rigorous treatment of radar signal detection theory.
3) Kay, Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing, vol. 2 (1998). This is a modern treatment of general detection theory and is considered a standard reference text. I find Wainstein and Zubakov clearer and easier to read, for what it's worth.
4) Cook & Bernfeld, Radar Signals: an Introduction to Theory and Application (1967) gives a rigorous treatment of radar waveforms, detection theory, and additional topics. This is a wonderful in-depth monograph, typical of the thoroughness that Academic Press titles are known for.
5) Levanon & Mozeson, Radar Signals (2004). Modern text that digs deeply into radar waveform design for specific applications.

1. What is the purpose of "Radar Books: Analysis & Design w/ Matlab"?

"Radar Books: Analysis & Design w/ Matlab" is a comprehensive guide that provides an in-depth analysis of radar systems and their design using the software Matlab. It covers various topics such as signal processing, radar detection and tracking, and system performance analysis.

2. Who is the target audience for "Radar Books: Analysis & Design w/ Matlab"?

The book is primarily aimed at engineers and researchers who are involved in the design, development, and analysis of radar systems. It can also be useful for students studying radar systems and their applications.

3. Does the book require prior knowledge of Matlab?

Yes, the book assumes that the reader has a basic understanding of Matlab and its functionalities. However, it also provides an overview of key Matlab concepts that are relevant to radar system design.

4. Is "Radar Books: Analysis & Design w/ Matlab" theoretical or practical?

The book provides a balance of both theoretical concepts and practical applications. It includes numerous examples and case studies that demonstrate how to use Matlab for radar system analysis and design.

5. Are there any accompanying resources for "Radar Books: Analysis & Design w/ Matlab"?

Yes, the book comes with a companion website that includes Matlab codes, supplementary materials, and additional resources for further learning. It also offers support for readers who may have questions or need clarification on certain topics covered in the book.