What are some recommended books for studying Electrodynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for good books on Electrodynamics. The suggested books include "Principles of Electrodynamics" by Melvin Schwarz and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. Online resources such as video lectures and forums are also mentioned as helpful tools for studying Electrodynamics. One person suggests that Griffiths is the standard for undergraduates, while another recommends "Introduction to Electrodynamics" as a good upper undergraduate introduction. However, someone else believes that "Wangsness" is a better option than Griffiths. The conversation also mentions personal experiences and opinions with the suggested books.
WiFO215
I would like anyone to reccomend good books on Electrodynamics. Any links to online resources for reading are also welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a thread about textbooks, see:

Academic & Career Guidance ->
Sub-Forums: Science Book Reviews

As far as I know, Griffiths is considered the standard for undergraduates.

Here are some video lectures of an electrodynamics class. (This is from an electrical engineering perspective, not physics, but it should help.

hxxp://mediasite.cae.wisc.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/Front.aspx?cid=d81d9436-fd98-4e35-a663-9ff0c20730ed[/URL]
(please don't linkify)

Last edited by a moderator:
if u r doing self study i wud recommend Griffith...not that i am a teacher or have seen thousands of other gud books and asking u read this but that i felt extremely privilege dat having studied such a book ...i use din my 12th grade(about 6 months back) and it was like heaven

Last edited:

1. What are some good introductory books on Electrodynamic?

Some recommended introductory books on Electrodynamics are "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson.

2. Are there any books that focus specifically on applications of Electrodynamic?

Yes, "Electrodynamics: A Modern Geometric Approach" by Keith Hannabuss and "Electrodynamics for Engineers: An Introduction" by Vladimir V. Mitin focus on the practical applications of Electrodynamics.

3. What is the best book for advanced studies in Electrodynamics?

"Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson is considered the standard textbook for advanced studies in Electrodynamics.

4. Are there any books that cover both classical and quantum Electrodynamics?

"Classical Electrodynamics and Quantum Optics" by Daniel D. Stancil and "Electromagnetic Fields and Interactions" by Richard Becker are two books that cover both classical and quantum Electrodynamics.

5. Are there any recent books that incorporate modern developments in Electrodynamics?

Yes, "Electrodynamics of Metamaterials" by Nader Engheta and Richard W. Ziolkowski and "Introduction to Modern Electrodynamics" by Andrew Zangwill are two recent books that incorporate modern developments in Electrodynamics.