Learning Physics: Books for Introductory Quantum & Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for recommendations on introductory books on quantum physics and special math for physics. A suggestion is made for the book "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler, with a recommendation to get the first edition for a complete understanding of the topic of rapidity. Other recommendations for books are also provided.
DougD720
I posted something like this in the Quantum Physics forums, i would also like a good book on relativity and such, but again if the math is past something like a high-school calculus course it may be a bit advanced. I would be interested in math books too, ones that helped teach some of the special math that these area of physics requires.

Thanks so much, I'm looking for more introductory books, with math i can understand or little math involved at all.

For more details about the books i already have see my post in the Quantum forum.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
A standard recommendation is Spacetime Physics, by Taylor and Wheeler.

You should look at previous threads in the S&GR board and the book review board.

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=560675

I'll second the recommendation of Spacetime Physics. Get the red paperback, which had all the problems worked out in the back, if you can find it at the library or used.

Also, N. David Mermin, It's About Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
as meentioned above, Spacetime Physics is an amazing book - everything is explained clearly with nothing more that basic algebra.

But you should get the first edition; the second edition omits a critical topic, the "rapidity" (analog of angle in pseudoeuclidean spaces).

I ordered the 2nd edition, unfortunately i could not find the first edition =(

But that's alright, do you have any recommendations where i could learn about rapidity in the same context as the rest of the book?

Thanks!

I ordered it from Barnes and Noble instead of Amazon so i didn't see that, i looked on amazon but i guess i missed it on those alternate sellers lists =( Oh well... i'll make do.

1. What are some recommended books for introductory quantum physics?

Some popular books for introductory quantum physics include "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on introductory relativity?

Yes, some recommended books for introductory relativity include "Relativity: The Special and the General Theory" by Albert Einstein, "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity" by Sean Carroll, and "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz.

3. Do these books require a strong background in mathematics?

While some basic mathematical knowledge is necessary to understand quantum and relativity, these books are geared towards introductory level students and do not require advanced mathematics. However, a solid understanding of algebra and calculus is recommended.

4. Can these books be used as a supplement to a physics course?

Yes, these books can serve as a helpful supplement to a physics course. They provide additional explanations and examples that can enhance understanding of the material covered in class.

5. Are there any online resources to accompany these books?

Many of these books have online resources, such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and lecture videos, that can aid in understanding the material. Some authors also have their own websites or YouTube channels with additional resources and explanations.