Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Books

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    i am looking for suggestions for any kinds of books on any kind of philosophy. does anyone have suggestions? if you do please state the subject of the book.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2005 #2
    This might get deleted, but try "The Nature of Personal Reality" by Jane Roberts. It was originally published by Prentice-Hall and copies are available on e-Bay.

Not a run of the mill view and should open your mind to all possibilities. It is not for everyone.

love&peace,
    olde drunk

4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    what kind of person would you suggest that book to?

5. Mar 23, 2005 #4
    Good question!

Most of us study philosophy so that we can develop our own philosophy. This would explore most ideas. If you are working for a post grad degree, etc this would only confuse the issue.

This book helped me understand my role in the universe and this world. It is not religious nor espousing any one discipline. It pretty much uses all philosophical ideas. It is pantheistic in nature.

love&peace,
    olde drunk

6. Mar 24, 2005 #5
    A book that i share alot of my views with is "the art of happiness" by the Dali Lama and Howard C. Cutler. It's kinda a self-help/philosphy type of book. Very interesting to me.

7. Mar 30, 2005 #6
    ughhh...Im a big fantasy book reader so if you don't like fantasy don't read these:
    His Dark Materials(series that includes): The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass. i am currently re-reading the g.c. and while it isn't hardcore philosphy or anything it does involve a struggle between the church and ...lets call them free-lancers cuz i don't know another word for them. It gets into does god exist and why ppl like religion with arguments on both sides, and consiousness. DONT read for philosophy though read cuz you want a good book.
    I am Mordred(check the spelling)- I read this along time ago also and while it isnt hardcore it did make me begin to think about determinism and fate. Mordred if you don't like you king arthur legends was his son out of wedlock that was Fated to kill him! I talks about how he tries to deal with the fact that he must kill his father.

obviously my books suck from a intellectual p.o.w but hey i like them and strongly recommend His Dark Materials series, so if you don't well you can just go........read another book :P

i will have to look at the art of happiness sometime soon, any chance there is a online version lol, preferably free? or is it only in hardback?

8. Mar 31, 2005 #7
    Hey, for entertainment the Dune trilogy is fantastic. It includes the christ drama, etc

And then, there's always Johnathan Livingston Seagull.

The Source is a great piece of fiction to show how we evolved our beliefs (fictionalized, of course).

love&peace,
    olde drunk

9. Mar 31, 2005 #8
    Bought the art of happiness on hardcover and I'm not sure if it's available online because I never looked. :)

10. Apr 2, 2005 #9
    My first serious reading in philosophys (a little more than 50 years ago) was Will and Areial Durant's volumes on the subject. I forget the title, but I do not recall reading any thing better later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?