1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books?

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    Hi, im new to this forum and i was wondering which books is good to Get a better understanding/learning Algebra, pre-calc and trigonometry for a kid who knows some algebra geometry and functions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2013 #2
    I don't any books for geometry or trignometry, but for calculus you can try Thomas calculus. It is a really heavy, but good book for beginners in calculus, real analysis and functions.
    For algebra my lecturer suggested me Topics in algebra by I. N. Herstein. You might give it a try.

4. Jul 28, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Really?? You're suggesting an abstract algebra book to a kid who is asking for books in algebra and precalculus??? Sigh.

Please don't listen to the above advice. A good book that I recommend is "basic mathematics" by Lang. Other good books are written by Gelfand. For example, you have "Algebra" and "Trigonometry" by Gelfand. (Do be careful, Gelfand has written very advanced texts too, so be careful what you use).

5. Aug 2, 2013 #4
    To get a general understanding of these subjects, I would suggest that you start with the Barron's books Algebra the Easy Way, Trigonometry the Easy Way, and Calculus the Easy Way, all by Douglas Downing (I think they may have been renamed as E-Z Algebra, E-Z trig, etc.). They present these topics in the form of a story.

Then, once you've gotten the flavor of these subjects, you can dive into proper textbooks, like the ones micromass suggested.

6. Aug 2, 2013 #5
    Books you can consult

What is Mathematics.

Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang.

Calculus Made Easy by Tompson.

Princeton Companion to Mathematics.

and If you are Planning to write AP then Thomas / James Stewart Calculus.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6
    I second the recommendation for Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson. It introduces you to calculus in a really intuitive way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted