1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books

1. Jul 21, 2005 #1
    hi everyone ~ Does anyone recommend some good books for me?i am studying at secondary school, which is in hong kong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2
    I can't recommend any text books as most of the stuff I get is off the net, or second hand books.

In the realm of earth sciences, James Lovelock wrote a book called Gaia. It's written at a fairly accessible level, and whilst I'm not fully convinced he presents his theory well. As a controversial theory it's an interesting place to start experiencing viewing arguments critically, an essential skill in science.

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3
    I think that Gaia has been burned because it obstructs global warming. Apart from that, there is some non-scientific reasoning in it.

So what is the area of interest? Environment? Evolution? Archeology? Geology, Oceanography? Geophysics? Climatology?

5. Jul 21, 2005 #4
    On the area of oceanograpy i´d suggest: "Invitation to Oceanography" by Paul R. Pinet. It covers the basics of oceanography and it proved quite usefull to me during the first and second year for me.
    I´m more into the management side of it all but it´s a fine place to start and easy accesible.

this is the website that is used for background info in the book: OceanLink2

The site also has an glossary cover in all the basic terms in oceanography.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  6. Jul 21, 2005 #5
    i think it's ok for any area .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?