Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books

1. Jul 21, 2005 #1
    hi everyone ~ Does anyone recommend some good books for me?i am studying at secondary school, which is in hong kong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2
    I can't recommend any text books as most of the stuff I get is off the net, or second hand books.

In the realm of earth sciences, James Lovelock wrote a book called Gaia. It's written at a fairly accessible level, and whilst I'm not fully convinced he presents his theory well. As a controversial theory it's an interesting place to start experiencing viewing arguments critically, an essential skill in science.

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3
    I think that Gaia has been burned because it obstructs global warming. Apart from that, there is some non-scientific reasoning in it.

So what is the area of interest? Environment? Evolution? Archeology? Geology, Oceanography? Geophysics? Climatology?

5. Jul 21, 2005 #4
    On the area of oceanograpy i´d suggest: "Invitation to Oceanography" by Paul R. Pinet. It covers the basics of oceanography and it proved quite usefull to me during the first and second year for me.
    I´m more into the management side of it all but it´s a fine place to start and easy accesible.

this is the website that is used for background info in the book: OceanLink2

The site also has an glossary cover in all the basic terms in oceanography.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  6. Jul 21, 2005 #5
    i think it's ok for any area .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?