Good books

• Thread starter no idea
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

hi everyone ~ Does anyone recommend some good books for me?i am studying at secondary school, which is in hong kong.

Answers and Replies

I can't recommend any text books as most of the stuff I get is off the net, or second hand books.

In the realm of earth sciences, James Lovelock wrote a book called Gaia. It's written at a fairly accessible level, and whilst I'm not fully convinced he presents his theory well. As a controversial theory it's an interesting place to start experiencing viewing arguments critically, an essential skill in science.

I think that Gaia has been burned because it obstructs global warming. Apart from that, there is some non-scientific reasoning in it.

So what is the area of interest? Environment? Evolution? Archeology? Geology, Oceanography? Geophysics? Climatology?

On the area of oceanograpy i´d suggest: "Invitation to Oceanography" by Paul R. Pinet. It covers the basics of oceanography and it proved quite usefull to me during the first and second year for me.
I´m more into the management side of it all but it´s a fine place to start and easy accesible.

this is the website that is used for background info in the book: http://www.jbpub.com/oceanlink2e/ [Broken]

The site also has an glossary cover in all the basic terms in oceanography.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it's ok for any area .