Finding a Calculus Book for Practice: Stewart Alternatives

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a suitable calculus book for practice and extra help. The individual has a program from their school that allows them to work out of their math book on the computer, but their specific book is not available. Some recommendations are given, including Edwards/Penney and Larson and Co., but ultimately the individual is advised to stick with Stewart. Another suggestion is Spivak or Apostol, but the individual mentions a book called "The Humongous Book of Calculus Problems" by Michael Kelley that they found helpful. However, the book only provides solutions and explanations, not problems to solve on their own.
2slowtogofast
my course I am taking is out of the calc book by stewart. i have this program my school gave that let's you pick your math book, and work out of it on the computer for practice and extra help. There are a ton of calc books on there but not mine. can anyone reccomend a good one to use to practice out of or one that is simialr to stewarts. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
try edwards/penney

thanks for the reply but they don't have them either. the program is math xl so if anyone has used it and liked a book that was on there let me know thank you

i took a quick look at what they offer and it doesn't appear there's anything too decent. you're probably better off with stewart. some people prefer larson and co. but I think its a toss up.

mathwonk i thought the staple suggestion was spivak or apostol

I bought a book called the "humoungous book of calculus problems" by: micheal kelley. I found this book a good asset for helping me to understand what is in my coursebook. However you really need to cover up the solutions as this book dosent offer any problems to do by yourself. Every problem has a solution and explanation attached to it.

he did not ask for the best books, but asked for something comparable to stewart.

1. Where can I find Stewart alternative calculus books for practice?

Stewart alternative calculus books can be found at most major bookstores or online retailers such as Amazon. They can also be purchased directly from the publisher, Cengage Learning.

2. What makes Stewart alternative calculus books different from other practice books?

Stewart alternative calculus books are known for their clear and concise explanations, numerous practice problems, and real-world applications. They also include step-by-step solutions and online resources for additional practice and support.

3. Are Stewart alternative calculus books suitable for self-study?

Yes, Stewart alternative calculus books are designed for self-study and can be used as a supplement to classroom instruction or as the main source of learning. They are written in a straightforward and accessible manner, making them suitable for independent learning.

4. Can beginners use Stewart alternative calculus books?

Stewart alternative calculus books are suitable for students of all levels, including beginners. They start with the basics and gradually increase in difficulty, allowing students to build a strong foundation in calculus.

5. How do I know which Stewart alternative calculus book is right for me?

Stewart alternative calculus books are available for different levels and topics, so it is important to choose the one that aligns with your current understanding and learning goals. It is recommended to consult with a teacher or advisor for guidance on selecting the appropriate book.