Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good calc books

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    my course im taking is out of the calc book by stewart. i have this program my school gave that lets you pick your math book, and work out of it on the computer for practice and extra help. There are a ton of calc books on there but not mine. can anyone reccomend a good one to use to practice out of or one that is simialr to stewarts. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

try edwards/penney

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    thanks for the reply but they dont have them either. the program is math xl so if any one has used it and liked a book that was on there let me know thank you

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    i took a quick look at what they offer and it doesn't appear theres anything too decent. you're probably better off with stewart. some people prefer larson and co. but I think its a toss up.

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    mathwonk i thought the staple suggestion was spivak or apostol

7. Sep 21, 2007 #6
    I bought a book called the "humoungous book of calculus problems" by: micheal kelley. I found this book a good asset for helping me to understand what is in my coursebook. However you really need to cover up the solutions as this book dosent offer any problems to do by yourself. Every problem has a solution and explanation attached to it.

8. Sep 22, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

he did not ask for the best books, but asked for something comparable to stewart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?