Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Good calc textbooks

1. Jun 30, 2006 #1
    Can anyone recommend me a book that better explains delta epsilon proofs. We skimmed it in beginning calc class and I would like to understand it better.

Also I would like to know if there are any good books out there for learning calc. I do not like the stewart text book we are using that much.

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a string of capital truths, and ourselves for an oracle, is inborn in us- Paul Valerey

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2006 #2
    I haven't read Stewart's Book, but I've only heard good things. A great book is "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, arguably the best calc book written to date! It has a wonderful explanation of the epsilon delta definition of limits. The exercises are probably more challenging than Stewarts though, so this book isn't for the faint of heart.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  4. Jul 1, 2006 #3
    Thanks for yuor reply. I will certainly give it a look!!-Darius

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook