What are some suggestions for a good circuit analysis program?

In summary, LT Spice is a good schematic drawing program that can be used to draw circuits and check voltages. It can also be used to insert a potentiometer.
chopficaro
im currently using protel to draw circuit diagrams and it is fine for that. but, when trouble shooting a board, i'd like to have a schematic drawing program that would allow me to set my own input voltages and allow me to check the voltages at different nodes. the only components i need it to recognize are amplifiers and resistors. if it could do capacitors that would also be helpful, but i only expect to find programs that do DC calculations.

i liked the way logicworks was set up, it allowed me to set the inputs and place probes everywhere i wanted to test the outputs, but that program was only for logic gates, and the voltages checked were 1's and 0's nothing more.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
thank you, lt spice is working very well so far. but would you happen to know how to insert a potentiometer?

I like LTSpice also. I have used a dc voltage source for a potentiometer in the past. You will have to re-run the simulation after every change.

Using Bob S's suggestion of dc voltage source will work if it's a dc circuit. Otherwise, you'll have to add a potentiometer model.

I've not used the potentiometer model, but you can find it at the Yahoo group devoted to LT Spice. You'll have to sign up for a (free) Yahoo account if you don't already have one, then you can join the LT Spice group here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice

After joining that group, click on "Files", then "Tut", then "Potentiometer".

From there, click on the "potentiometer_standard.txt " file to get directions for installing the potentiometer models. It basically tells you to copy two files into specific folders on your computer, then restart LT Spice for the changes to take effect.

I haven't used the potentiometer models before, so if it works out let us know!

Good luck. :smile:

1. What is a good circuit analysis program?

A good circuit analysis program is a software tool that allows scientists and engineers to simulate and analyze electronic circuits. It typically includes features such as circuit design, simulation, and analysis tools to help users understand the behavior of their circuits.

2. What are the key features to look for in a good circuit analysis program?

Some key features to look for in a good circuit analysis program include an easy-to-use interface, a wide range of component libraries, accurate simulation capabilities, and the ability to generate useful visualizations and reports. It should also have the ability to handle both analog and digital circuits.

3. How can a good circuit analysis program benefit scientists?

A good circuit analysis program can benefit scientists by providing them with a powerful tool to design, simulate, and analyze complex circuits. It can save time and resources by allowing for virtual testing and troubleshooting before physically building the circuit. It also provides a deeper understanding of circuit behavior and allows for optimization and improvement of designs.

4. Are there any free or open-source circuit analysis programs available?

Yes, there are several free and open-source circuit analysis programs available, such as LTspice, Qucs, and ngspice. These programs offer many of the same features as paid programs and are a great option for those on a budget or looking to try out different programs before investing in one.

5. Can a good circuit analysis program be used for educational purposes?

Absolutely. Many circuit analysis programs have educational versions or features specifically designed for learning and teaching. They can be used to introduce students to the fundamentals of circuit design and analysis, as well as for more advanced projects and research in the field of electronics.