1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Cosmology book

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation on a good grad level cosmology book. Something dealing with more astrophysical things like structure formation. I'm using the Cole & Lucchin book for my class now and am not really a big fan of it. The other books I've found are either geared towards undergrads or don't deal with the theory of structure formation, jeans theory, linear/non-linear perturbations etc.
    Thanks much.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Principles of Physical Cosmology by Peebles.

Cosmological Physics by Peacock.

I don't have them personally but you can always have a look and see what you think.

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    Thanks much, I'll check them out.

5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try: Mukhanov - Physical Foundations of Cosmology, as well as the books Kurdt suggets.

You could always try Weinberg's new book which I think is called Cosmology. I've not looked at it properly, but it should be good.

6. Apr 28, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Liddle has Cosmological Inflation and Large Scale Structure as well but recommends that as a post post grad book (If that makes sense). But if you like the look of it then you could try that. I'm a fan of Liddle.

7. Apr 28, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's co-authored by David Lyth, so we shouldn't forget his name!

By the way, I'm moving this to the science book review forum, since it fits in there better.

8. Apr 28, 2008 #7
    Incidentally, Steve Weinberg's new cosmology book came out just recently.

9. Jan 27, 2009 #8

A/4

Bumping this thread. I'm curious if anyone knows a good and current cosmology book for laymen (i.e. that could be used as a text for a non-science course). Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?