Good Cosmology book

• Thread starter Dathascome
  • Start date
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation on a good grad level cosmology book. Something dealing with more astrophysical things like structure formation. I'm using the Cole & Lucchin book for my class now and am not really a big fan of it. The other books I've found are either geared towards undergrads or don't deal with the theory of structure formation, jeans theory, linear/non-linear perturbations etc.
Thanks much.

Answers and Replies

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Principles of Physical Cosmology by Peebles.

Cosmological Physics by Peacock.

I don't have them personally but you can always have a look and see what you think.

Thanks much, I'll check them out.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Try: Mukhanov - Physical Foundations of Cosmology, as well as the books Kurdt suggets.

You could always try Weinberg's new book which I think is called Cosmology. I've not looked at it properly, but it should be good.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Liddle has Cosmological Inflation and Large Scale Structure as well but recommends that as a post post grad book (If that makes sense). But if you like the look of it then you could try that. I'm a fan of Liddle.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Liddle has Cosmological Inflation and Large Scale Structure as well but recommends that as a post post grad book (If that makes sense). But if you like the look of it then you could try that. I'm a fan of Liddle.
It's co-authored by David Lyth, so we shouldn't forget his name!

By the way, I'm moving this to the science book review forum, since it fits in there better.

Incidentally, Steve Weinberg's new cosmology book came out just recently.

A/4
Bumping this thread. I'm curious if anyone knows a good and current cosmology book for laymen (i.e. that could be used as a text for a non-science course). Thanks.