Grad Level Cosmology Books: Structure Formation & More

In summary, there are several recommendations for good cosmology books at a graduate level dealing with astrophysical topics such as structure formation and perturbations. These include Principles of Physical Cosmology by Peebles, Cosmological Physics by Peacock, Mukhanov's Physical Foundations of Cosmology, Weinberg's Cosmology, and Liddle's Cosmological Inflation and Large Scale Structure. Some of these books are co-authored by other experts in the field, such as David Lyth. It is suggested to check out these books and see which one best suits the reader's preferences. There is also a mention of a recent cosmology book by Steve Weinberg, as well as a question about recommendations for a cosmology
Dathascome
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation on a good grad level cosmology book. Something dealing with more astrophysical things like structure formation. I'm using the Cole & Lucchin book for my class now and am not really a big fan of it. The other books I've found are either geared towards undergrads or don't deal with the theory of structure formation, jeans theory, linear/non-linear perturbations etc.
Thanks much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Principles of Physical Cosmology by Peebles.

Cosmological Physics by Peacock.

I don't have them personally but you can always have a look and see what you think.

Thanks much, I'll check them out.

Try: Mukhanov - Physical Foundations of Cosmology, as well as the books Kurdt suggets.

You could always try Weinberg's new book which I think is called Cosmology. I've not looked at it properly, but it should be good.

Liddle has Cosmological Inflation and Large Scale Structure as well but recommends that as a post post grad book (If that makes sense). But if you like the look of it then you could try that. I'm a fan of Liddle.

Kurdt said:
Liddle has Cosmological Inflation and Large Scale Structure as well but recommends that as a post post grad book (If that makes sense). But if you like the look of it then you could try that. I'm a fan of Liddle.

It's co-authored by David Lyth, so we shouldn't forget his name!

By the way, I'm moving this to the science book review forum, since it fits in there better.

Incidentally, Steve Weinberg's new cosmology book came out just recently.

Bumping this thread. I'm curious if anyone knows a good and current cosmology book for laymen (i.e. that could be used as a text for a non-science course). Thanks.

1. What is cosmology and why is it important?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It is important because it helps us to understand the fundamental laws that govern our universe and our place within it.

2. What is structure formation in cosmology?

Structure formation refers to the process by which the large-scale structure of the universe, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters, form and evolve over time. This is a key area of study in cosmology as it helps us to understand how the universe has evolved since the Big Bang.

3. What are some key concepts in grad level cosmology books?

Some key concepts in grad level cosmology books include the Big Bang theory, dark matter and dark energy, inflation, cosmic microwave background radiation, and the formation of galaxies and other structures in the universe.

4. How do grad level cosmology books differ from other books on cosmology?

Grad level cosmology books are typically more advanced and technical than other books on cosmology. They assume a strong background in physics, mathematics, and astronomy, and delve deeper into complex theories and mathematical models.

5. What are some recommended grad level cosmology books on structure formation?

Some recommended grad level cosmology books on structure formation include "The Large Scale Structure of the Universe" by P. J. E. Peebles, "Galaxy Formation and Evolution" by Houjun Mo, Frank van den Bosch, and Simon D. M. White, and "Cosmology: The Origin and Evolution of Cosmic Structure" by Peter Coles.