Reliable Curve-Fitting Routine in C/C++ | Get Expert Advice

• Thread starter james4321
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking a reliable curve fitting routine, preferably in C or C++. They currently use the Levenberg-Marquardt routine from numerical recipes, but it fails frequently. They have tried changing the fitting parameters, but some data is still difficult to fit. They are seeking advice on using a genetic algorithm method to find the optimal Levenberg parameters, but they have no expertise in this area. They are interested in recommendations for code or packages that can assist with this task with little experience.
james4321
I am looking for a reliable curve fitting routine (preferrably in C or C++). Currently I use Levenberg-Marquardt routine from numerical recipes but it fails frequently. Your adivce will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
your choice of fitting parameters in the Levenberg-Marquardt routine needs to be changed, usually that is one of the most robust methodologies out there.

Use a genetic algorithm method to find the optimal Levenberg parameters?

Thank you Dr Transport and Pythagorean for you reply.

"your choice of fitting parameters in the Levenberg-Marquardt routine needs to be changed"
I do this but some data are very difficult to fit even with this.

"Use a genetic algorithm method to find the optimal Levenberg parameters?"
Unfortunately I have no expertise in genetic algorithms. I wish I know how to use these algorithms as they are very useful. Do you recommend any code or package that can do this with little experience?

Thank you Dr Transport for you reply.

"your choice of fitting parameters in the Levenberg-Marquardt routine needs to be changed"
I do this but some data are very difficult to fit even with this.

Thank you Pythagorean for you reply.

"Use a genetic algorithm method to find the optimal Levenberg parameters?"
Unfortunately I have no expertise in genetic algorithms. I wish I know how to use these algorithms as they are very useful. Do you recommend any code or package that can do this with little experience?

1. What is a curve-fitting routine in C/C++?

A curve-fitting routine in C/C++ is a programming tool that helps to find the best-fitting curve or line to a set of data points. It uses mathematical algorithms to analyze the data and determine the most accurate curve or line that represents the relationship between the data points.

2. Why is it important to have a reliable curve-fitting routine in C/C++?

A reliable curve-fitting routine in C/C++ is important because it allows for accurate and precise analysis of data. This is especially crucial in scientific research and data analysis, where accurate results are necessary for making informed decisions and drawing conclusions.

3. How does a curve-fitting routine work in C/C++?

A curve-fitting routine in C/C++ works by using mathematical functions and algorithms to minimize the distance between the data points and the curve or line being fitted. This is done by adjusting the parameters of the curve or line until the best fit is achieved.

4. What are the benefits of using a reliable curve-fitting routine in C/C++?

One of the main benefits of using a reliable curve-fitting routine in C/C++ is the ability to accurately analyze large sets of data and extract meaningful information from it. This can save time and effort compared to manually analyzing the data. Additionally, a reliable curve-fitting routine can provide more accurate and precise results compared to other methods of data analysis.

5. How can I find expert advice for using a reliable curve-fitting routine in C/C++?

There are many resources available for finding expert advice on using a reliable curve-fitting routine in C/C++. These include online forums, programming communities, and professional consultants. It is also helpful to consult with experienced programmers and researchers who have used curve-fitting routines in their work.