Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good DE book to start

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    hello everybody, I am planning to take DE next semester and I want to take advantage of my december vacations to start looking some DE material.

Can somebody suggest a good book to start with???? and what topics should I start viewing so I can understand better the class. I am a little afraid because I don´t know what to expect.

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2
    Boyce is my choice

I use "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems 7th. Ed. " by Boyce
    I also use Shaums outlines on Differential Equations. The above mentioned text is very wordy which is Great for an introductory advanced level course. This allows for a clearer understanding of the material. I also use the shaums book for extra practice. If you start working on DE now. You will have up to 25% or more of the material under your belt when January/Spring semester rolls around.
  4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    I also use the Boyce DiPrima book, however, I cannot recommend it. There have been many times where the book left me confused becuase it would skip several steps in an example problem. I feel the examples are not wheel chosen, either. They're always much, much simpler than the problems it gives.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?