1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good DE book

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1
    Is Boyce's "Elementary Differential Equations" any good? If not, can one be recommended in lieu?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None better........
  4. Jan 10, 2007 #3
    What exactly are you planning on doing with the Diff. Eqs? Are you studying them just to study them, or do you plan on learning them to deal with problems in physics or other topics. Because if that is the case you might be better off with an applied Diff. Eq. Text. But that is just my opinion.
  5. Jan 10, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't call B & D a fundamental book, there are plenty of applied problems in it and enough theory to give you an idea of how to generally attack DE's. It isn't full of theorem proof, lemma etc........If you want that check out Fritz John's book, written by a mathemtician for mathemeticians.
  6. Jan 10, 2007 #5
    I'm learning them to deal with problems with physics and other topics, but I wouldn't mind learning about them for their own sake.
  7. Jan 14, 2007 #6

Staff: Mentor

Boyce and DiPrima is somewhat of a classic. I have a copy of their "Elementary Differential Equations & Boundary Value Problems, 3rd Ed." from 1976. While not fundamental perhaps in the mathematical sense, it is fundamental in its introduction of DE and applications. My copy has a number of examples from physics problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?