• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Good DE book

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is Boyce's "Elementary Differential Equations" any good? If not, can one be recommended in lieu?

Answers and Replies

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
None better........

What exactly are you planning on doing with the Diff. Eqs? Are you studying them just to study them, or do you plan on learning them to deal with problems in physics or other topics. Because if that is the case you might be better off with an applied Diff. Eq. Text. But that is just my opinion.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What exactly are you planning on doing with the Diff. Eqs? Are you studying them just to study them, or do you plan on learning them to deal with problems in physics or other topics. Because if that is the case you might be better off with an applied Diff. Eq. Text. But that is just my opinion.
I wouldn't call B & D a fundamental book, there are plenty of applied problems in it and enough theory to give you an idea of how to generally attack DE's. It isn't full of theorem proof, lemma etc........If you want that check out Fritz John's book, written by a mathemtician for mathemeticians.

I'm learning them to deal with problems with physics and other topics, but I wouldn't mind learning about them for their own sake.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Boyce and DiPrima is somewhat of a classic. I have a copy of their "Elementary Differential Equations & Boundary Value Problems, 3rd Ed." from 1976. While not fundamental perhaps in the mathematical sense, it is fundamental in its introduction of DE and applications. My copy has a number of examples from physics problems.