Comparing "Elementary Differential Equations" with Alternatives

In summary, The conversation discusses the book "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima and whether it is a good resource for studying differential equations. The speaker suggests that an applied differential equations text would be better for dealing with problems in physics and recommends checking out Fritz John's book for more rigorous proof and theory. The speaker also mentions that Boyce and DiPrima's book is considered a classic and has examples from physics problems.
a_lawson_2k
Is Boyce's "Elementary Differential Equations" any good? If not, can one be recommended in lieu?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you planning on doing with the Diff. Eqs? Are you studying them just to study them, or do you plan on learning them to deal with problems in physics or other topics. Because if that is the case you might be better off with an applied Diff. Eq. Text. But that is just my opinion.

^_^physicist said:
What exactly are you planning on doing with the Diff. Eqs? Are you studying them just to study them, or do you plan on learning them to deal with problems in physics or other topics. Because if that is the case you might be better off with an applied Diff. Eq. Text. But that is just my opinion.

I wouldn't call B & D a fundamental book, there are plenty of applied problems in it and enough theory to give you an idea of how to generally attack DE's. It isn't full of theorem proof, lemma etc...If you want that check out Fritz John's book, written by a mathemtician for mathemeticians.

^_^physicist said:

I'm learning them to deal with problems with physics and other topics, but I wouldn't mind learning about them for their own sake.

Boyce and DiPrima is somewhat of a classic. I have a copy of their "Elementary Differential Equations & Boundary Value Problems, 3rd Ed." from 1976. While not fundamental perhaps in the mathematical sense, it is fundamental in its introduction of DE and applications. My copy has a number of examples from physics problems.

What is "Elementary Differential Equations" and how does it compare to other options?

"Elementary Differential Equations" is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding solutions to differential equations, which are equations that involve derivatives. It is often taught at the undergraduate level and is a fundamental subject in the field of applied mathematics. This book is considered a standard text for learning the subject. As compared to other options, "Elementary Differential Equations" is known for its clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of the topic.

What sets "Elementary Differential Equations" apart from other textbooks?

One of the main features that sets "Elementary Differential Equations" apart from other textbooks is its approachability. The book is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for students to understand the concepts. It also provides numerous examples and practice problems to help students develop their problem-solving skills.

What topics are covered in "Elementary Differential Equations"?

"Elementary Differential Equations" covers a wide range of topics including first-order differential equations, higher-order differential equations, systems of linear differential equations, Laplace transforms, and applications of differential equations in various fields such as physics and engineering. It also includes a chapter on numerical methods for solving differential equations.

Is "Elementary Differential Equations" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Elementary Differential Equations" is suitable for self-study. The book is well-organized, with a clear and logical progression of topics. It also includes numerous exercises and solutions, making it a great resource for independent learning. However, it is always recommended to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you encounter difficulties understanding the material.

Are there any alternatives to "Elementary Differential Equations"?

Yes, there are several alternatives to "Elementary Differential Equations" in the market. Some popular options include "Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems" by Dennis G. Zill, "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, and "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard. It is recommended to research and compare different options to find the one that best fits your learning style and needs.