Donating $1M to Make a Real Difference: Which Cause Would You Choose?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of donating $1M to a cause and which cause each person would choose. One person chooses to donate to themselves, while the other chooses to give it to Dr. Yunus, who is known for his work with microfinance and helping the poor. The second person expresses respect for Dr. Yunus and asks for a rundown of his achievements, to which the first person provides a link.
WarrickF
If you had the option of donating $1M to any cause you liked in the hopes of making a real difference. Which cause would you choose and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Myself because I am the only hope this planet has

I'd give it to Dr. Yunus.

Because he does not hand out free money, he makes the poor pay it back.

Wow, good choice. I'd never heard of the guy, but a quick Google has earned Dr. Yunus a lot of respect in my eyes.

A google search makes you respect a guy?

Obviously the results of what I found and the history of what he has achieved is what impressed me. But thanks the the invaluable input :)

cyrusabdollahi said:
I'd give it to Dr. Yunus.

Because he does not hand out free money, he makes the poor pay it back.

Wow. This guy is impressive. I take it the loans aren't even interest free? Its amazing really, but so simple. Sometimes the most amazing things seem so simple after they're figured out though. Much respect to Dr. Yunus.

Since I am exausted from 2 finals, can someone give me a rundown of whatever this guy does/did/whatevers?

Can you click that for me :P

1. What are the criteria you would use to choose a cause to donate $1M to?

As a scientist, I would use evidence-based methods to research and evaluate different causes to determine which one would have the most impact. This could include looking at statistics, conducting experiments, and consulting with experts in the field. I would also consider my personal values and the potential long-term effects of the cause.

2. How would you ensure that the money is being used effectively and efficiently?

I would carefully research and choose a reputable and transparent organization to donate the money to. I would also monitor the progress and impact of the organization's work through regular communication and reports. Additionally, I would set clear guidelines and expectations for how the money should be used and regularly review the organization's financial statements.

3. What are some potential causes that you would consider donating to?

This would depend on my personal values and the results of my research, but some potential causes could include environmental conservation, education and literacy, healthcare access, poverty alleviation, and scientific research for important medical or technological breakthroughs.

4. How would you determine the long-term impact of your donation?

To determine the long-term impact of my donation, I would look at the organization's plans for sustainability and continued growth. I would also track the progress and outcomes of the organization's work over time, and potentially conduct follow-up research or studies to see the broader impact of the cause.

5. Would you consider collaborating with other donors or organizations for a larger impact?

Yes, I would definitely consider collaborating with other donors or organizations to maximize the impact of the donation. This could include partnering with other individuals or companies who share the same values and goals, or working with established organizations that have a proven track record of success in the chosen cause. Collaboration can lead to a more efficient and effective use of resources, and can also bring together a diverse range of perspectives and expertise.