Getting Ready for Winter Break: Cooking, Eating & Drinking Ideas

In summary: Ah, Finally. Winter break has rolled around. Tomorrow is my first day of winter break a free man. Over the break I want to cook, eat, cook, eat, cook, eat and cook some more!But the problem is I don't really know anything about cooking, and I need some ideas on some foods to make and eat. I should probably start simple and work my way up. Id like to start cooking as soon as tomorrow if I can. I want to cook food every single day over the break and eat it right after.So, any sugesstions on things to make? (I am looking forward to your replies turbo-1).BTW, I eat Iranian food
Cyrus
Ah, Finally. Winter break has rolled around. Tomorrow is my first day of winter break a free man. Over the break I want to cook, eat, cook, eat, cook, eat and cook some more!

But the problem is I don't really know anything about cooking, and I need some ideas on some foods to make and eat. I should probably start simple and work my way up. Id like to start cooking as soon as tomorrow if I can. I want to cook food every single day over the break and eat it right after.

So, any sugesstions on things to make? (I am looking forward to your replies turbo-1).

BTW, I eat Iranian food every day, so you would probably be hard pressed to find something I don't like: Goat, eggplant, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, kidney beams, chick peas, cauliflower, etc.

Its time to put this bad boy I bought last summer to use!

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9321/pict00185vf.jpg [Broken]

Careful, its damn sharp. Cut right through my finger when I tried using it. Blood is not a spice, apparently.

Oh yeah, and you need to wash it down with a good drink. So if you know any good drink recipes let me know too! (probably should stick to a common alcohol, since the stuffs damn expensive. Most drinks have Vodka.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last summer was 2006!

And you just made me hungry!

I like like cooking Asparagus covered with olive oil and sprinkled with black pepper and garlic salt.

That sounds good.

PS, last summer was 2007.

****, you're right.

Haha... I just bought a bunch of steaks and chicken breasts, and veggies. Now it's a race against the expiration date to eat everything. This week is going to be great.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

morphism said:
Haha... I just bought a bunch of steaks and chicken breasts, and veggies. Now it's a race against the expiration date to eat everything. This week is going to be great.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

I hate doing that!

Sometimes my weekend just gets completely booked and I don't have time to eat it or even come home!

For example, good thing I didn't do the usual Monday grocery shopping. On Monday night, I made plans to go skiing from the 20th to the 25th.

Cyrus said:
Ah, Finally. Winter break has rolled around. Tomorrow is my first day of winter break a free man. Over the break I want to cook, eat, cook, eat, cook, eat and cook some more!

But the problem is I don't really know anything about cooking, and I need some ideas on some foods to make and eat. I should probably start simple and work my way up. Id like to start cooking as soon as tomorrow if I can. I want to cook food every single day over the break and eat it right after.

So, any sugesstions on things to make? (I am looking forward to your replies turbo-1).

BTW, I eat Iranian food every day, so you would probably be hard pressed to find something I don't like: Goat, eggplant, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, kidney beams, chick peas, cauliflower, etc.

Careful, its damn sharp. Cut right through my finger when I tried using it. Blood is not a spice, apparently.

Oh yeah, and you need to wash it down with a good drink. So if you know any good drink recipes let me know too! (probably should stick to a common alcohol, since the stuffs damn expensive. Most drinks have Vodka.)

Start easy, soft boiled egg with toast fingers.

Garlic chicken
• 2 Chicken breasts
• 2 tbsp Yogurt
• 4 tablespoons Butter
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp Olive oil
• 1 Finely chopped onion
• 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 cup Chicken stock{broth}

Cooking Instructions:
• Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
• Melt the butter in a pan and add the olive oil. Add the chopped onions and cook gently until it turns soft and golden.
• Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
• Add the chicken pieces to the onion and garlic mixture and cook, till it turns brown on all sides.
• Add the chicken broth, season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat till it boils then turn the heat down to minimum and leave it uncovered for about 20 minutes.
• Remove the chicken pieces and keep warm. Turn on the heat on high{boiling} and reduce the liquid by about half. Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt.

I serve it over slighty mashed red skin potatos.

Cyrus, try New England boiled dinner. You can't screw it up! Make a big batch, because the leftover vegetables and meat make nice leftovers - just nuke 'em. The leftover meat is great in sandwiches (I like it on rye bread with cheese and hot mustard), and the leftover vegetables and some of the meat can be pan-fried for some of the tastiest hash you've ever had.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1194466&postcount=15

Cyrus said:

I have the same Wustoff knife set. Got it for Christmas about 2 years ago, and it not only have the 8 inch Chef knife, but also a 10 inch, along with a bunch of other knives that I seldom use.

You will need to sharpen it eventually, so a sharpening block would be handy.

Zz.

I also have Wustoff. You done good Cyrus! :wink:

I personally just make conventional easy-to-cook meals and then cover them in Turbo's spicy stuff.

I make a stew with couscous, I've substituted chicken for lamb for my girls when they were little. It's a stew with lamb or chicken, carrots, zucchini, chick peas, onions and potatoes, poured over cooked couscous.

I love fried eggplant. Cut a whole eggplant lengthwise into rounds, get a large platter and lay the rounds out in a single layer, sprinkle with salt, make another layer of eggplant and salt until you run out of eggplant, lay a heavy plate ontop, (I add a heavy can on top), let sit for at aleast an hour. You will notice a lot of dark brown liquid has collected, pour the liquid into the sink and pat the slices dry with paper towels. (you must do this to remove bitter juices and reduce the water content of the eggplant so it will fry properly and not just be bitter mush).

Dip the slices in beaten eggs, then coat with seasoned bread crumbs (I like Progresso's Italian seasoned breadcrumbs). Pour enough olive oil into a large frying pan to come up half the thickness of an eggplant slice. Use medium heat, making sure the oil is hot enough for the eggplant to sizzle when placed in the oil. Fry the eggplant slices until lightly brown, flip them over and cook the same way on the other side, adding olive oil to keep the level constant. Drain on a paper towel lined platter.

If you don't want your eggplant to absorb as much oil (I personally think the more oil, the better) you can brush a cookie sheet with the oil, place the slices on in a single layer and then pour a drop of oil on top of each and bake until lightly browned. These are not nearly as tasty, but it's an option.

Last edited:
He must be out power shopping at the grocery store.

Hahaha not yet. Tomorrow Ill go and try and make something though.

hypatia said:
Garlic chicken
• 2 Chicken breasts
• 2 tbsp Yogurt
• 4 tablespoons Butter
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp Olive oil
• 1 Finely chopped onion
• 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 cup Chicken stock{broth}

Cooking Instructions:
• Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
• Melt the butter in a pan and add the olive oil. Add the chopped onions and cook gently until it turns soft and golden.
• Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
• Add the chicken pieces to the onion and garlic mixture and cook, till it turns brown on all sides.
• Add the chicken broth, season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat till it boils then turn the heat down to minimum and leave it uncovered for about 20 minutes.
• Remove the chicken pieces and keep warm. Turn on the heat on high{boiling} and reduce the liquid by about half. Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt.

I serve it over slighty mashed red skin potatos.
I'm saving this recipe, sounds delicious!

BREAD!
BREAD IS GOOD, BREAD IS GOOD!
I eat bread because is SHOULD!
ha ha, anyways get my idea? I love bread and most other carbs, lol just about my diet and I still only weigh 95 pounds (assuming no lately BM, tmi I am sure)
Fact: Tour De France riders eat about 10,000 calories a day, mostly carbs.

Cy, if you intend to maintain your knives, invest in a diamond-impregnated sharpening stone like this and learn to keep a good edge on your blades. With stainless blades, you can lubricate the stone with plain water, sharpen, wipe down and store. You should hone your knives on a steel after every significant use, and expect to sharpen the blade on a stone whenever the steel does not quickly bring your blade back to optimal sharpness.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/8...?UserID=908304&SessionID=l3yIqe5d4RTKYU7LzxVv

You may have seen Alton Brown's misguided show on knife-sharpening in which he claims that professionals in the food industry all send their knives out to be sharpened (he handed his knives over to some itinerant with belt grinders in the back of his van). This is just plain wrong. If you're going to cook, you need to take care of your tools. Another example of a popular cooking show gone VERY wrong!

1. What are some easy and delicious recipes to try during winter break?

During winter break, it can be fun to try out new recipes that are both easy and delicious. Some ideas include slow cooker soups and stews, hearty casseroles, and festive holiday treats like sugar cookies or gingerbread. You can also try incorporating seasonal ingredients like squash, pumpkin, and cranberries into your dishes for a festive touch.

2. How can I make sure I'm eating healthy during winter break?

It can be tempting to indulge in comfort foods and sweet treats during winter break, but it's important to still prioritize your health. Try incorporating plenty of fruits and vegetables into your meals, and opt for lean proteins and whole grains instead of processed foods. You can also balance out indulgences with regular physical activity, such as going for a walk or hitting the gym.

3. What are some fun and creative ways to make holiday drinks?

There are many ways to get creative with holiday drinks during winter break. You can try making your own hot cocoa with various toppings like whipped cream, marshmallows, or peppermint candy. You can also experiment with seasonal flavors in cocktails, such as cranberry, apple cider, or cinnamon. If you don't drink alcohol, you can still have fun making festive mocktails with sparkling juices or flavored syrups.

4. How can I involve my family and friends in cooking and eating during winter break?

Winter break is a great time to spend quality time with loved ones, and cooking and eating together can be a fun and bonding activity. You can plan a potluck dinner and have everyone bring a dish to share, or try cooking a meal together and assigning each person a different task. You can also have a baking day and make treats to give as gifts or enjoy together.

5. What are some tips for managing stress and staying mindful during the busy holiday season?

The holiday season can be hectic and overwhelming, but it's important to take care of yourself and manage stress. Some tips include setting aside time for self-care activities like meditation or yoga, practicing gratitude, and setting realistic expectations for yourself. It's also important to prioritize rest and relaxation, and don't be afraid to say no to activities or events that may add to your stress levels.