1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good electronics textbooks

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    What is considered the best electronics books for physics undergrads who want to learn the basics of electronics? I would go and buy the art of electronics but many say that is more of a reference book than a textbook.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Horowitz and Hill

150px-The_Art_of_Electronics.jpg
    The microprocessor bit is out of date, it doesn't cover high frequency (wifi/bluetooth) and it's annoying that it doesn't tell you why some of the bad designs are bad - but it's still the best.

edit - it seems there is a new edition due next year, but they have been saying that for the last 10years !

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3
    isn't that a reference book though and not really the appropriate book for self-learning?

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's a 'how to' of everything you need to build practical electronics for physics experiments - it's not a textbook of electronic engineering design or theory.

You can probably pick up a used copy - every experimental physicist (and every lab) has a copy

6. Sep 7, 2009 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 16, 2009 #6
    I tink this will be good for electronics, especially that this book emphasizes on practical work.

Thomas Floyd, Electronic devices

If you want a more advanced book I recommand

Adel Sedra, Microelectronic circuits ( this is a universal reference book)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook