Where Can I Find a Good Forum for General Computer Questions?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker looking for a good forum to ask general computer questions, specifically about their network setup and possibly upgrading their equipment. A suggestion is made to check out the Extreme Overclocking forum and the Anandtech forum, which have a focus on computer hardware and offer a variety of discussions and subforums for different topics.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'd like some pointers to a good forum where I can go to ask general computer questions - usually to do with my network setup.

According to Linksys Tech Support, BOTH my Linksys wireless routers got pooched on the same day. My network is old enough that it may be time to replace them anyway. I went to Best Buy but the technology has changed and I don't know what to buy to make it compatible with my existing equipment. I've got a host of questions around this, and other computer questions, such as ''how can I disable this or that TSR in my system?'

Suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
waht said:

Really? Cuz they seem pretty focused:

"The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!"

It seems you want a forum that can help you pick a product, and answer computer questions.

I recommended this one because it does both to some extent. Similarly, physics forums sounds pretty focused, yet just about everything gets discussed. If you scroll down, they got subforums that cover a wide array of computer topics.

1. What is a general computer forum?

A general computer forum is an online platform where computer enthusiasts and experts can come together to discuss various topics related to computers, such as hardware, software, operating systems, troubleshooting, and more. It serves as a community for individuals to share their knowledge, ask for help, and engage in discussions about all things related to computers.

2. What are the benefits of joining a general computer forum?

There are several benefits of joining a general computer forum. Firstly, you can get answers to your computer-related questions from a diverse group of individuals with varying levels of expertise. Secondly, you can learn about the latest trends and technologies in the world of computers. Additionally, you can make connections and network with other professionals in the field. Lastly, participating in discussions and helping others can enhance your own knowledge and skills.

3. How do I find a good general computer forum?

There are many ways to find a good general computer forum. You can start by conducting a simple internet search for "general computer forums" and browse through the results. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or colleagues who are interested in computers. Another option is to check online forums directories or ask for suggestions on social media platforms.

4. Do I need to have a certain level of knowledge about computers to join a general computer forum?

No, you do not need to have a specific level of knowledge about computers to join a general computer forum. These forums cater to individuals with varying levels of expertise, from beginners to experts. As long as you have an interest in computers and a willingness to learn and engage in discussions, you are welcome to join.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines I should follow when participating in a general computer forum?

Yes, most general computer forums have rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow. These rules typically include being respectful to others, avoiding spam or self-promotion, and staying on topic in discussions. It is important to familiarize yourself with the rules of a forum before participating to ensure a positive and productive experience for all members.