Good intro book on tensors?

In summary, "A Brief on Tensor Analysis" by Simmonds is a good, affordable option for self-teaching tensor calculus. It is recommended for its clear explanations and derivations. Another potential resource is "Schaum's Outline" version, but it may lack sufficient proofs and derivations. A similar thread on tensor calculus recommendations can be found on the science book discussion forum. Another recommended book is "Tensor Analysis" by Aris, which is useful for applied purposes and can be found on sites like AbeBooks.
Curl
What's a good self-teaching book about tensor calculus? Is Schaum's Outline version good? I heard it suffers from lack of proofs/derivations. I want something that's easy to follow and doesn't just throw things out without at least some sort of derivation/ sketch-of-proof / explanation.

Also, cheaper is better :p

Mathematics news on Phys.org
not super cheap, but very very good is "a brief on tensor analysis" by simmonds. I haven't read the schaum's, so cannot help there. IF you do a search, I believe a similar thread has been on the science book discussion forum awhile ago.

good luck

jason

1. What are tensors and why are they important?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between vectors and scalars in a multi-dimensional space. They are important because they are used to represent physical quantities and describe the behavior of physical systems, making them essential in many areas of science and engineering.

2. What makes a good intro book on tensors?

A good intro book on tensors should provide a clear and concise explanation of the fundamental concepts, as well as practical applications in various fields. It should also include exercises and examples to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

3. Do I need a strong math background to understand tensors?

While a basic understanding of linear algebra and calculus is helpful, a good intro book on tensors should provide a comprehensive and accessible explanation of the concepts, making it suitable for readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

4. Can tensors be applied in fields other than physics?

Yes, tensors have applications in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and data analysis. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems and relationships in these fields.

5. Are there any recommended resources for further study on tensors?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks available for further study on tensors, such as "Tensor Calculus for Physics" by Dwight E. Neuenschwander and "Tensor Analysis and Elementary Differential Geometry for Physicists and Engineers" by Hung Nguyen-Schäfer. It is also helpful to explore applications of tensors in specific fields, such as machine learning or general relativity.