I Good intro-to-intermediate explanation of the ADM formalism

DEvens

Education Advisor
Gold Member
Summary
Looking for a description of the ADM formalism for somebody who as studied some GR
So I'm reading about the Alcubierre warp drive. And it's presented in the ADM formalism.

And I realize that understanding it is being slowed by my not having studied the ADM formalism. So, is there a good text or web site or such, that does a good explanation of the ADM formalism? I have been through the basics of GR but didn't do that. Basically I got up to Oppenheimer-Schneider dust clouds, and interior solutions for spherically symmetric stars and such like topics. So I'm looking for something that an undergrad 3rd or 4th year could use.

martinbn

Science Advisor
What you need is the 3+1split rather than all of the ADM formalism. You could take a look at any numerical relativity book, including Alcubierre's.

PAllen

Science Advisor
I just took a look at Wald's discussion of the GR initial value formulation. It may not be totally out reach. It does not seem to require as much high level math as some other sections in Wald do.

DEvens

Education Advisor
Gold Member
What you need is the 3+1split rather than all of the ADM formalism. You could take a look at any numerical relativity book, including Alcubierre's.
Now, why didn't I think of looking for a book by Alcubierre? I never got off Arxiv.org. Thanks!