ADM Formalism: Intro-to-Intermediate Explanation

• I
  • Thread starter DEvens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, the conversation is about the topic of the Alcubierre warp drive, which is presented in the ADM formalism. The speaker realizes that their understanding of the concept is being hindered by their lack of knowledge on the ADM formalism. They ask for recommendations on a text or website that explains the ADM formalism well, specifically for someone with a background in general relativity. The other person suggests looking into the 3+1 split and mentions that any numerical relativity book, including one by Alcubierre, would be helpful. The speaker expresses surprise at not thinking of looking for a book by Alcubierre and thanks the other person for the suggestion.
DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a description of the ADM formalism for somebody who as studied some GR
So I'm reading about the Alcubierre warp drive. And it's presented in the ADM formalism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
And I realize that understanding it is being slowed by my not having studied the ADM formalism. So, is there a good text or website or such, that does a good explanation of the ADM formalism? I have been through the basics of GR but didn't do that. Basically I got up to Oppenheimer-Schneider dust clouds, and interior solutions for spherically symmetric stars and such like topics. So I'm looking for something that an undergrad 3rd or 4th year could use.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is the 3+1split rather than all of the ADM formalism. You could take a look at any numerical relativity book, including Alcubierre's.

Likes DEvens
I just took a look at Wald's discussion of the GR initial value formulation. It may not be totally out reach. It does not seem to require as much high level math as some other sections in Wald do.

Likes DEvens
martinbn said:
What you need is the 3+1split rather than all of the ADM formalism. You could take a look at any numerical relativity book, including Alcubierre's.

Now, why didn't I think of looking for a book by Alcubierre? I never got off Arxiv.org. Thanks!

What is ADM Formalism?

ADM Formalism, also known as the Arnowitt-Deser-Misner Formalism, is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the dynamics of a spacetime.

What is the purpose of ADM Formalism?

The purpose of ADM Formalism is to break down the spacetime into spatial and temporal components, making it easier to analyze and solve the equations of general relativity.

How does ADM Formalism differ from other formalisms?

ADM Formalism differs from other formalisms in general relativity, such as the Einstein-Hilbert action or the 3+1 formalism, in that it explicitly separates the spacetime into spatial and temporal components, rather than treating them as a single entity.

What are the advantages of using ADM Formalism?

ADM Formalism has several advantages, including simplifying the equations of general relativity, allowing for easier numerical simulations, and providing a clearer understanding of the dynamics of spacetime.

What are the limitations of ADM Formalism?

One limitation of ADM Formalism is that it only applies to vacuum solutions, meaning that it cannot be used to describe spacetimes with matter or energy present. Additionally, it can become mathematically complex when applied to highly curved spacetimes.