What are the best laptops for engineering students on a budget?

In summary, for a mechanical engineering student, it is recommended to have a Windows laptop as most engineering software is designed for it. However, Mac laptops can still be used with open source versions of software like Matlab. Some suggested engineering laptops within a budget of $1,000 are the Dell Inspiron 15 and the Lenovo ThinkPad E590. Popular engineering software includes Solidworks and MATLAB, with options for running them on Mac laptops through booting into Windows.
EternusVia
Hi all,

What laptop would you recommend for a mechanical engineering student? I really like Mac but I hear that engineering software is almost all Windows.

Are there any good engineering laptops for around $1,000 that you could recommend?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What kinds of engineering software are you consdering?

I know Matlab works on mac quite well and even the open source versions work too.

jedishrfu said:
What kinds of engineering software are you consdering?

I know Matlab works on mac quite well and even the open source versions work too.
To be honest I don't have a comprehensive list. I know I'll be using Solidworks, at least. This will be my first year coming up.

1. What are the minimum specifications needed for a good laptop for engineering?

The minimum specifications for a good laptop for engineering are a powerful processor (i.e. Intel Core i7 or above), at least 8GB of RAM, a dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA or AMD), and a solid-state drive (SSD) with at least 256GB of storage. It is also recommended to have a larger screen size (15 inches or more) and a high-resolution display.

2. Can a budget laptop handle engineering software?

It depends on the specific software and its requirements. Generally, a budget laptop may struggle with more demanding engineering software, but it can handle basic programs. It is recommended to check the system requirements for the software you will be using and ensure that your laptop meets or exceeds them.

3. Is it better to get a Windows or Mac laptop for engineering?

This is a matter of personal preference. Both Windows and Mac laptops can be used for engineering, but Windows laptops tend to have a wider variety of options and are more commonly used for engineering software. Mac laptops are known for their sleek design and reliability, but they may not have as many options for engineering software.

4. Do I need a touchscreen for engineering?

A touchscreen is not necessary for engineering, but it can be helpful for tasks such as drawing or annotating on diagrams. If you prefer a touchscreen, make sure to also have a keyboard and mouse for more precise inputs.

5. How important is battery life for a laptop used for engineering?

Battery life is important, especially if you will be using your laptop for long periods without access to a power source. Look for a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery life. You can also consider getting a laptop with a longer battery life or investing in a portable charger for extra power on-the-go.