Discover the Best Linear Algebra Text for Vector Spaces | Expert Suggestions

In summary: Advanced Linear Algebra by Steven Roman is very good, the third edition seem to have fewer errors than the second. It helps to know a little linear algebra going in. It might be what you call "at too high of a level", but it does go beyond finite dimension and real and complex spaces. Also has nice applications and a helpful review of algebra.Linear Algebra Done Right by Sheldon AxlerAre good if you read them at just the right time. Halmos keeps to finite dimension, but is written to be good background for infinite dimension later. Axler avoids determinants, focus pretty much solely on real and complex vector spaces and finite dimension, but is good as a first look, or
alexfloo
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good linear algebra text that gives thorough coverage of vector spaces over all sorts of fields. It's difficult to find a book that doesn't focus pretty much solely on real and complex vector spaces that isn't at too high of a level. (Although I don't want something too introductory. I prefer a feeling of unfamiliarity at first; otherwise I don't feel like I'm gaining anything.)

Something with a coverage of infinite dimensional vector spaces and and function spaces would be nice also but isn't too necessary.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hoffman and Kunze

I learned linear algebra from Artin Algebra. Halmos Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces seems like something you may like.

Hoffman and Kunze is exactly the book you want. It's one of the best books out there. Furthermore it treats the theory in full generality: over any field. Determinants are even treated over arbitrary commutative rings!

Awesome, I saw a few references to Hoffman and Kunze as I was searching before I posted this, but not a lot about its coverage of the theory. I'll likely go with that one, but all five of my University's copies are either out or missing, so if it takes too long, Halmos looks like a very good resource too.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

alexfloo said:
Something with a coverage of infinite dimensional vector spaces and and function spaces would be nice also but isn't too necessary.

"Infinite dimensional" vector spaces and function spaces is what we usually call Functional Analysis, which is usually a graduate-level topic for mathematics students, but you may see it in undergrad courses like "(Advanced) Topics in Analysis". You also need a background in algebra, real and complex analysis, measure theory and maybe topology to study it (basically an undergrad degree), although you can find books with fewer prerequisites, some of them written for physicists. Do you want books on Functional Analysis?

Last edited:
I have familiarity with algebra, topology, and real analysis, and and understanding of some of the principles of measure theory, although none of the math itself at the moment. I've not yet been exposed to complex analysis.

I'm glad you told me all this: I'm an undergrad doing computer science and basically studying pure math of library books in my spare time. This method works very well for me in terms of learning, but the prerequisite chains aren't quite as explicit.

If you have any recommendations on functional analysis, however, I'd certainly love to write them down for the future. (I know from his foreword that Halmos' text was meant to elucidate the relationship between linear algebra and functional analysis, albeit by studying the finite-dimensional side only.)

alexfloo said:
I have familiarity with algebra, topology, and real analysis, and and understanding of some of the principles of measure theory, although none of the math itself at the moment. I've not yet been exposed to complex analysis.

I'm glad you told me all this: I'm an undergrad doing computer science and basically studying pure math of library books in my spare time. This method works very well for me in terms of learning, but the prerequisite chains aren't quite as explicit.

If you have any recommendations on functional analysis, however, I'd certainly love to write them down for the future. (I know from his foreword that Halmos' text was meant to elucidate the relationship between linear algebra and functional analysis, albeit by studying the finite-dimensional side only.)

Take Kreyszig's text: introduction to functional analysis. It's one of the best intro texts out there.

Real and complex vector spaces are of particular interest some they get much attention.
I take it you want a general book without particular focus on computation, applications, or specialized methods.

Advanced Linear Algebra by Steven Roman is very good, the third edition seem to have fewer errors than the second. It helps to know a little linear algebra going in. It might be what you call "at too high of a level", but it does go beyond finite dimension and real and complex spaces. Also has nice applications and a helpful review of algebra.

Linear Algebra by Georgie E. Shilov is also good. A pleasure to read.

Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces by P.R. Halmos
Linear Algebra Done Right by Sheldon Axler
Are good if you read them at just the right time. Halmos keeps to finite dimension, but is written to be good background for infinite dimension later. Axler avoids determinants, focus pretty much solely on real and complex vector spaces and finite dimension, but is good as a first look, or second look if the first was very bad.

Yes, Kreyszig's book is suitabe for you. It is at a level that undergrad physics students can understand it, and it is written for non-math people, while still being a proper maths book, if that makes any sense. Math students usually take Functional Analysis in the 2nd year of graduate studies, with graduate analysis especially under their belt. Some idea of this can be seen in books like https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441930922/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sheldon Axler's "Linear Algebra Done Right" is a good introduction to what Linear Algebra is truly about- Linear Transformations. It freely uses Real and Complex fields, lumping them under the symbol F (black-board bold). It eschews determinants and matrices, but I think that is a good thing to do if one really wants to deeply understanding Vector Spaces.

It briefly covers linear functionals, but like others have said, if you want to deal with Infinite-Dimensional Vector Spaces and Linear Functionals, check out a classic text on Functional Analysis.

Another good book to look at is Peter Lax's "Linear Algebra and Its Applications".

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving systems of linear equations, analyzing geometric structures, and understanding complex mathematical models.

2. What makes a good linear algebra textbook for vector spaces?

A good linear algebra textbook for vector spaces should have a clear and concise writing style, a comprehensive coverage of the topic, a good balance between theory and applications, and plenty of examples and exercises for practice.

3. Can you recommend a specific linear algebra textbook for vector spaces?

Some highly recommended linear algebra textbooks for vector spaces include "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Serge Lang, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler.

4. Is prior knowledge of calculus necessary for understanding linear algebra?

Prior knowledge of calculus is not necessary for understanding linear algebra. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and geometry can be helpful for understanding some of the concepts in linear algebra.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra and vector spaces?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra and vector spaces, it is important to practice solving problems and working through exercises. You can also watch video lectures, attend a class or workshop, or seek help from a tutor or online resources.