Good Manners: What We All Know

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: When a lady approaches you and you are seated stand up and allow her to sit before you.Don't immediately assume you are to order for the lady at a restaurant.Ouch and double Ouch, you said. Girl Twice Hey, he's young enough to be allowed to get away with it. :biggrin:I know that you should:Respect age, both young and old. When in doubt, assume the best intent from your next. Listen and learn. Don't be fascionable late, be precice. Admit when you are defeated and not gloat over your victory. When
That's funny, I have a "Uses the Expression 'Hill of Beans' Test". :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Actually my mother is French. Very refined. My Aunt and Uncle are a Count and Countess and own a very beautiful well known 14th century castle in France. I was raised with Aristrocratic manners. gravenworld is absolutely correct in what he wrote. I've known that all my life.

Perhaps aristocratic table manners are too much to expect? I believe Miss Manners suggested these as correct.

why we need to know that ?

ps. actually I'm kinda jealus not having blue blood in me :grumpy:

Smurf said:
Okay, I was ALWAYS taught that 5 and 11 were the proper positioning. Yet on this thread I've heard everything BUT those. Now, I'm sure it really doesn't matter if you hit 4 or 5 but the inconsistancy annoys me.

I can let you off for not placing your knife and fork correctly, as long as you remeber not to scrunch up your napkin and place it to the right of your plate.

note to the ladies wearing silks or satin..or other slippy cloths

Fold your napkin in a triangle shape, and put the point side towards your knees and the napkin won't slip off your lap! :smile:

1. When breaking up, no 'lets be friends' BS. Saves time for both of the people.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my fork tirade. My dog died yesterday and I drank too much last night. Nothing worse than drunken posting.

My girls and I are very sad. He was a great dog. :frown:

Evo said:
I hope I didn't offend anyone with my fork tirade. My dog died yesterday and I drank too much last night. Nothing worse than drunken posting.

My goodness! Which one? Fruit-eater or JOD?

Bladibla said:
My goodness! Which one? Fruit-eater or JOD?
The fruit bat is my older daughter's and he is still here. JOD is a freak of nature, not a dog.

This was Kevin, our "actual" dog. (I live on an acre of land). He was a Brittany Spaniel and the sweetest, most loving dog ever. He always carried a stuffed animal with him where ever he went, we called them his "babies". His nickname was "the love dog".

I'm still crying.

Now I have the fruit bat, which I do love, and JOD. Not sure what to do with her (JOD), Kevin loved her for some unknown reason, which is why she is still here. Two vets said she had "serious issues". Yeah, no kidding. She's the JAWS OF DEATH.

Evo said:
I hope I didn't offend anyone with my fork tirade.
Actually it was kind of cute. :biggrin:

Evo said:
My dog died yesterday and I drank too much last night. Nothing worse than drunken posting.

I am very sorry to hear about Kevin. May his spirit be at peace. o:)

I too have been very close to all the animals who share our house, and it is very painful when they die. My condolences to you and your girls. :frown:

Astronuc said:
I am very sorry to hear about Kevin. May his spirit be at peace. o:)

I too have been very close to all the animals who share our house, and it is very painful when they die. My condolences to you and your girls. :frown:
Thank you, it's almost like losing a family member. The child of evo was saying how she can't really remember him not being around, she was little when she picked him out.

Evo said:
Thank you, it's almost like losing a family member. The child of evo was saying how she can't really remember him not being around, she was little when she picked him out.
The year my brother died, we euthenized our two oldest cats, on two successive days. The oldest was a Calico, Pumpkin, who we had since the first year my wife and I were married. We got her as an abandoned kitten. The other was, Spencer, an orange tiger striped cat. He was also abandoned, and came to us two years after Pumpkin. Our oldest dog, Ellie, died the following year. She was a mixed breed terrier.

During August of last year, I had to euthenize another cat, a mostly black tortoise shell, Pepper, who had been with us 17 years.

Now we have two cats (http://www.everything-science.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=82&topic=2246.msg55705#msg55705), a dog (Yorkie named Sassie), and a parakeet (Peter). :biggrin:

I'm very sorry, Evo. I wish you and your family the smoothest recovery. :smile:

Tom Mattson said:
Heh, sorry for prying. It just seems like rules such as your "Fork Test" are a sure fire way to end up as a lonely cat lady. I have a test too, it's called the "Nitpicking About Inconsequential Details That Don't Mean A Hill Of Beans In Life Test". :biggrin: If a lady fails that one, then she gets kicked to the curb.
Oh goody, I'm not eliminated yet. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Oh, so sorry to hear this. The furry ones are the hardest to lose. (I'd probably have something better to say if I wasn't so drunk the screen is moving!)

What's with everyone being drunk all of a sudden? Or have I just not been paying attention until now?

Sorry to hear that Evo, its so hard to loose a animal friend. Sounds like he was a great pet.

Evo said:

Hi Evo, :smile:

I don't get the point ,why you say "child of Evo"!Is it some other Evo or are they your kids!
i guess they must be of my age! :smile:

:frown: R.I.P, furry one.

heman said:
Hi Evo, :smile:

I don't get the point ,why you say "child of Evo"!Is it some other Evo or are they your kids!
i guess they must be of my age! :smile:
The child of Evo is one of her two daughters. And you already have a woman to chase! One at a time, or you'll hurt yourself. :tongue2:

Rose,
I saw most of your postings here and one of the interesting things which came out is that Matt Grime never enters into G.D. :rofl: and you are one of persons who is smitten by his this genre! :smile:

Well he is a Mathematician too and reading all this i remembered the John Nash(Russel Crowe) of Beautiful Mind!(hope everybody must have seen that!)
Gals easily get attracted to such ppls i see! :smile:

By the way Evo looks good! :!) I am beginning to forget my GND! :rofl:

heman said:
Rose,
I saw most of your postings here and one of the interesting things which came out is that Matt Grime never enters into G.D. :rofl: and you are one of persons who is smitten by his this genre! :smile:
I love math and logic, yes. And that was a perfectly sound series of experiments. :redface: (Actually, they are ongoing, but keep it on the DL.)
Well he is a Mathematician too and reading all this i remembered the John Nash(Russel Crowe) of Beautiful Mind!(hope everybody must have seen that!)
Gals easily get attracted to such ppls i see! :smile:
Matt is great, but my -strictly scientific- fascination is with his peculiar behavior, not with him per se.
By the way Evo looks good! :!) I am beginning to forget my GND! :rofl:
Her avatar is her daughter. Oh, and :grumpy: Where's Astronuc when you need him?

honestrosewater said:
I love math and logic, yes. And that was a perfectly sound series of experiments. :redface: (Actually, they are ongoing, but keep it on the DL.)?

I would love if he never enters,that would be nice example of determination and devotion to one single thing(For Maths!)! :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Matt is great, but my -strictly scientific- fascination is with his peculiar behavior, not with him per se..

One cause can be not yet posting his pic! :biggrin: But who knows he may b the hottest guy in town! :biggrin:

honestrosewater said:
Her avatar is her daughter. Oh, and :grumpy: Where's Astronuc when you need him?

Ohhh My Gawd...i thought her to be Evo!
In my mind such things were going on,that how gruelling her schedule might be to keep herself so pretty and in shape! :smile:

Astro is one of the guys here whom i know best! :smile:
How come did you know that!

heman said:
One cause can be not yet posting his pic! :biggrin: But who knows he may b the hottest guy in town! :biggrin:
No, but I don't think I should say anything else about him - people might start getting ideas.
Astro is one of the guys here whom i know best! :smile:
How come did you know that!
I know everything. :biggrin: I hope you're paying attention to his words of wisdom. He's a good friend to have.

honestrosewater said:
heman said:
By the way Evo looks good! :!)
Is this where I am supposed to come in and say "Calm down, young man." :biggrin:

And don't forget your GND. :biggrin:

Oh, and yes - as the title reminds us, let's keep "Good Manners" in mind. :smile: o:)

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Is this where I am supposed to come in and say "Calm down, young man." :biggrin:

And don't forget your GND. :biggrin:

Oh, and yes - as the title reminds us, let's keep "Good Manners" in mind. :smile: o:)
Ah, yes, the ratio of Hormones to Reason is returning to safe levels. :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Ah, yes, the ratio of Hormones to Reason is returning to safe levels. :smile:
Particularly T-levels. :biggrin:

honestrosewater said:
What's with everyone being drunk all of a sudden? Or have I just not been paying attention until now?
I can't speak for Evo, but I'm at a conference, so it's just the normal evening socializing. Actually, last night we had our annual N.A.K.E.D. party. :biggrin

(That stands for National Association for Knowledge, Education and Drunkenness; sorry, nobody actually gets naked, at least not until after they leave the party.)

A naked party? That sounds like a lot of fun, Moonbear. In which direction is it good manners to look at this sort of party?

Hi Moonbear,

helloooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Moonbear at naked party!Ohhh my Gawd!

:uhh: You did all see this part of that post, right?

Moonbear said:
(That stands for National Association for Knowledge, Education and Drunkenness; sorry, nobody actually gets naked, at least not until after they leave the party.)

Moonbear said:
They were right! It does cause blindness!

Staring at a monitor all day, that is.

I think I'd still like to go to a N.A.K.E.D. party.

Moonbear said:

Ofcourse i did!
By the way moonbear rocks!(sometimes!)