Good math books for pre algebra

• Intro Math
  • Thread starter ykeyani
  • Start date
Hi, I'm looking for a good math book for a 10 year old.
He's actually very gifted, as he's able to pick up things like factors and equalities pretty fast. The thing is I'm not a math teacher and I think he needs to go over basic geometry and arithmetic before moving on to algebra, basically there's holes in his knowledge. I've looked at books for his age range and they just teach method and a few that might be better are only available in the U.S. which is a problem living in England and all.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Answers and Replies

Why not just give him a high school algebra or geometry book and have him write down what he doesn't understand and then teach him where to find the answers? I always wondered what would have happened if somebody had done that for me.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi, I'm looking for a good math book for a 10 year old.
He's actually very gifted, as he's able to pick up things like factors and equalities pretty fast. The thing is I'm not a math teacher and I think he needs to go over basic geometry and arithmetic before moving on to algebra, basically there's holes in his knowledge. I've looked at books for his age range and they just teach method and a few that might be better are only available in the U.S. which is a problem living in England and all.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.
I think even England has an amazon.com

You can find numerous textbooks with which to challenge your 10-YO. There are al sorts of "... for Dummies" books and more traditional texts available:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=n:266239,k:arithmetic+books+pre-algebra&tag=