1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Math Good math books for pre algebra

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm looking for a good math book for a 10 year old.
    He's actually very gifted, as he's able to pick up things like factors and equalities pretty fast. The thing is I'm not a math teacher and I think he needs to go over basic geometry and arithmetic before moving on to algebra, basically there's holes in his knowledge. I've looked at books for his age range and they just teach method and a few that might be better are only available in the U.S. which is a problem living in England and all.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2
    Why not just give him a high school algebra or geometry book and have him write down what he doesn't understand and then teach him where to find the answers? I always wondered what would have happened if somebody had done that for me.

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think even England has an amazon.co.uk

You can find numerous textbooks with which to challenge your 10-YO. There are al sorts of "... for Dummies" books and more traditional texts available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ra&rh=n:266239,k:arithmetic+books+pre-algebra

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted