Good Math Riddles: Find Fun Challenges Here

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
In summary: We need a procedure that is guaranteed to give her the same piece regardless of which piece is larger.In summary, the solution is to have the person who cuts the cake choose the piece, and have the person who chooses their piece first pass it on.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Does anyone know a site where I can find good math riddles?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
daniel_i_l said:
Does anyone know a site where I can find good math riddles?
Thanks.
Google math riddles, and you'll get a bunch. I only looked at one though and it wasn't good.

Here's one:

There is a simple procedure that ensure two people share in equal part a cake: one person cuts the cake, and the second chooses his/her piece first. What procedure should be taken for an arbitrary number of persons?

the cutter always gets the last piece?

Werg22 said:
There is a simple procedure that ensure two people share in equal part a cake: one person cuts the cake, and the second chooses his/her piece first. What procedure should be taken for an arbitrary number of persons?

This question is incorrectly stated, but I think I understand what you're asking. It won't ensure that people get an *equal* share-- it ensures that neither person is justified in thinking that they got an unfairly small amount of cake, assuming that each finds larger portions desirable.

But anyway, a solution to the arbitrary number of people would be:

A) Nth person cuts a piece from "the cake".
B) The piece is passed to the next person, who may further subdivide the piece if he/she wishes.
C) If the piece is subdivided further, excess is returned to "the cake"
D) Repeat steps B & C until each person (apart from the Nth) who does not already have a piece of cake has had the option to subdivide the piece.
E) Whoever was the last person to cut or subdivide the piece is given that piece.
F) Repeat steps A-E until only 1 person does not have a piece of cake, who is given the remainder of the cake.

This ensures that assuming everyone wants as large a piece as possible, that everyone has a portion that they must think (or must have thought) was fair, and is therefore unjustified in thinking is anything but fair.

DaveE

Werg22 said:
There is a simple procedure that ensure two people share in equal part a cake: one person cuts the cake, and the second chooses his/her piece first.
It doesn't work. If I cut some tasty morsel in two to share with my wife, if one piece is larger than the other, I give her the larger piece. If I give her a choice she will invariably choose the smaller.

1. What is a math riddle?

A math riddle is a type of puzzle or brain teaser that requires mathematical thinking to solve. It often involves numbers, logic, and critical thinking.

2. How can I improve my math skills with riddles?

Solving math riddles can help improve your critical thinking, problem-solving, and number sense skills. It also encourages you to think outside the box and approach problems from different angles.

3. Are there different levels of difficulty for math riddles?

Yes, there are different levels of difficulty for math riddles. Some may be more straightforward and suitable for beginners, while others may require more advanced math skills or creative thinking.

4. Can math riddles be used for educational purposes?

Yes, math riddles can be a fun and engaging way to teach and reinforce mathematical concepts in the classroom. They can also be used as a tool for students to practice and apply their math skills.

5. Where can I find good math riddles?

There are many resources available for finding good math riddles, including online websites, books, and apps. Some popular websites for math riddles include Math Riddles and Brain Teasers, Math Playground, and Riddles.com.