1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good math riddles

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Does anyone know a site where I can find good math riddles?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2
    Google math riddles, and you'll get a bunch. I only looked at one though and it wasn't good.

4. Nov 9, 2007 #3
    Here's one:

There is a simple procedure that ensure two people share in equal part a cake: one person cuts the cake, and the second chooses his/her piece first. What procedure should be taken for an arbitrary number of persons?

5. Nov 9, 2007 #4
    the cutter always gets the last piece?

6. Nov 9, 2007 #5
    This question is incorrectly stated, but I think I understand what you're asking. It won't ensure that people get an *equal* share-- it ensures that neither person is justified in thinking that they got an unfairly small amount of cake, assuming that each finds larger portions desirable.

But anyway, a solution to the arbitrary number of people would be:

A) Nth person cuts a piece from "the cake".
    B) The piece is passed to the next person, who may further subdivide the piece if he/she wishes.
    C) If the piece is subdivided further, excess is returned to "the cake"
    D) Repeat steps B & C until each person (apart from the Nth) who does not already have a piece of cake has had the option to subdivide the piece.
    E) Whoever was the last person to cut or subdivide the piece is given that piece.
    F) Repeat steps A-E until only 1 person does not have a piece of cake, who is given the remainder of the cake.

This ensures that assuming everyone wants as large a piece as possible, that everyone has a portion that they must think (or must have thought) was fair, and is therefore unjustified in thinking is anything but fair.

DaveE

7. Nov 9, 2007 #6
    It doesn't work. If I cut some tasty morsel in two to share with my wife, if one piece is larger than the other, I give her the larger piece. If I give her a choice she will invariably choose the smaller.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?