Good mid-level physics journals

In summary, mid-level physics journals are publications that focus on high-quality research articles in the field of physics, but are not as prestigious as top-tier journals like Nature or Physical Review Letters. They have a specific niche within the broader field and are known for their rigorous peer-review process and reputable editorial boards. The impact factor of a mid-level physics journal can be determined by looking at its average number of citations per article in a given year, which can usually be found on the journal's website or major databases like Web of Science or Scopus. These journals are indexed in major databases, making their articles easily discoverable and citable in other research. The peer-review process for mid-level physics journals typically takes 2-3 months, but can
myk
Hi -
I'm looking for a decent physics journal, more technical than, say, New Scientist but not necessarily really high-level stuff. Right now I'm looking at physicstoday.org, physics.aps.org and http://iopscience.iop.org/0034-4885", are these any good? I'm interested in any recommendations you have. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the Journal of Applied Physics. I like the physics.aps.org you linked.

I would also like to see other suggestions.

American Journal of Physics

1. What is considered a "good" mid-level physics journal?

A good mid-level physics journal is typically one that publishes high-quality research articles in the field of physics, but is not as prestigious or highly ranked as top-tier journals like Nature or Physical Review Letters. These journals often have a specific focus or niche within the broader field of physics, and are known for their rigorous peer-review process and reputable editorial boards.

2. How can I determine the impact factor of a mid-level physics journal?

The impact factor of a journal is a measure of its average number of citations per article in a given year. This information can typically be found on the journal's website or on databases such as Web of Science or Scopus. It is important to note that impact factor should not be the sole determining factor in choosing a journal to publish in, as it can vary depending on the field and may not accurately reflect the quality of individual articles.

3. Are mid-level physics journals indexed in major databases?

Yes, most mid-level physics journals are indexed in major databases such as Web of Science or Scopus. This means that the articles published in these journals are easily discoverable and can be cited in other research. However, it is always a good idea to check the indexing of a specific journal before submitting your work.

4. How long does the peer-review process usually take for mid-level physics journals?

The peer-review process for mid-level physics journals can vary, but it is typically between 2-3 months. However, this can also depend on the specific journal and the workload of its editors and reviewers. It is important to check the journal's website for their estimated review time and to communicate with the editors if there are any delays.

5. Can I publish in a mid-level physics journal if I am a graduate student or early-career researcher?

Yes, mid-level physics journals are often open to submissions from graduate students and early-career researchers. However, it is important to carefully review the journal's submission guidelines and to ensure that your research meets their standards and scope. Additionally, it can be helpful to seek guidance from your advisor or colleagues before submitting your work.