Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Movies ?

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Watched any good movies lately, that you would definitely recommend ?

I haven't watched any movies in a while now, mostly because I haven't heard of there being that many good ones. I did watch one movie (dvd) this weekend - L'auberge Espagnole (2002) - I quite enjoyed it. :approve:

Time to catch up on all the good movies that I've been missing...suggestions, anyone ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2004 #2
    I just watched 12 Monkeys which came out in 1995. It's a story about the vicious cycle of time. I am sure that you, Gokul, as sci-fi-trivia-master, should have seen the movie already. If not, I highly recommend it.
  4. Oct 26, 2004 #3
    This is probably stating the obvious as well but I watched the remastered version of 2001- A Space Odyssey a while ago and enjoyed it immensely, totally fascinating and mind-boggling for me.
  5. Oct 26, 2004 #4
    I loved 'Kill Bill' 1 and 2... but you need to be a bit of a Tarantino fan........

"The Last Samurai" was a fantastic film too - nothing like I expected, very informative, and well worth watching.
  6. Oct 26, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm planning to see "House of the Flying Daggers" soon..
    That's the new film from the director of the amazing "Hero".
  7. Oct 26, 2004 #6
    Did anyone here ever see Carpenter's Cult Classic "Dark Star"? I love that film - I laugh so much every time I see it!

The lift scene cracks me up..... and as for the Alien! A big plastic blow up ball!!!!
  8. Oct 26, 2004 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just saw Kill Bill 2 (finally), and loved it. I also saw Man on Fire recently, and I enjoyed it a lot.
  9. Oct 26, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently saw a SciFi on TV called The Cube that surprised me a bit. Not only was it better than I expected, it actually had a plot, not just special effects, which is unusual these days for SciFi.
  10. Oct 26, 2004 #9
    Pulp Fiction.

Clockwork Orange.

Reservoir Dogs.

Team America: World.....

All incredible movies. Practically perfect in every aspect.
  11. Oct 26, 2004 #10
    It depends on your approach to films. I tend to avoid industry films and entertainment films. I'm not interested in cinema as a business or as a rollercoaster ride; I'm interested in cinema as an art form (even though I have serious reservations about the worth of art (an old PF thread)). I prefer films made by a single artist or a tightly knit group of artists. I would use the term "independent film", but that term has been abused in recent years.

I tend to agree a lot with the film critic, Ray Carney. I wouldn't say I agree with him about everything -- no way -- but I agree with him more than any other film critic. Read about some of his opinions on cinema here:

I think before you see the latest films, you need to catch up with what you have surely missed -- and that would include some very old films. If you're really keen, I would suggest working through the Criterion Collection:

Well-known directors I recommend include:

Andrei Tarkovsky
    Ingmar Bergman
    Robert Bresson
    Yasujiro Ozu
    Akira Kurosawa
    John Cassavetes
    Carl Dreyer
    Mike Leigh

A couple of lists of mostly fine directors:

Then there's various genres like silent films (chaplin, griffith, murnau), documentaries, and stop-frame animation (svankmajer, brothers quay).

Maybe I being cynical, but I think I may have just wasted my time with this post. The mainstream view on films is so incredibly entrenched. It's a far different story for music. Go figure.
  12. Oct 26, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kafka with Jeremy Irons
  13. Oct 26, 2004 #12
    I've seen the english version recently. It was a contrast for me to hear the soft tone of voice of HAL in this version, I was used to the raucous tone that has in the spanish version. I certainly missed that the protagonist didn't say "It's full of stars!" when he felt right into the monolite
  14. Oct 26, 2004 #13
    Casablanca is probabally the best movie ever. Every single scene means something, no filler, just a great movie.

I second the sentiment that you sh\ould see 12 monkeys, great movie in general. My avatar is actually a shot of Brad Pitt from that movie.

Fight Club is another really great Brad Pitt movie.
  15. Oct 26, 2004 #14
    That was great.

I just saw A Few Good Men again yesterday. Man, that is a good movie. Got to love Tom Cruise.

It's been quite a while since I last went to Movie Gallery. Plan on taking a little trip there next week, however.
  16. Oct 26, 2004 #15
    "Dark Star" is one of my favorite movies, funny like hell! :rofl: I have that movie on tape and once in a while watch it. I also like Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" amazing movie.
  17. Oct 26, 2004 #16
    Great movie. Have you seen the "Musashi" trilogy?
  18. Oct 26, 2004 #17
    I've seen Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon". I also have Kurosawa's "Ran", "Seven Samurai" and "Yojimbo" - all of them highly recommended by movie critics - but I have not had the time to watch them.

Gokul, even if you don't like Anime, I highly recommend "Grave of the Fireflies". It's a touching story set in WWII about a little girl and her brother who lose their parents to the war. I don't usually like anime, but this movie definitely struck a chord with me.

I didn't know there was a "Musashi" trilogy but I have heard of and played a Playstation game of a similar title. It was a great RPG game.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  19. Oct 26, 2004 #18
    A Playstation game with the same title? I've never heard of it. Anyway, it's just a movie based on the book of the same title by Eiji Yoshikawa, which is a great novel, by the way. However, it's quite expensive, $30 for each DVD on Amazon. Ouch!! :surprised
  20. Oct 27, 2004 #19
    It's the first time since in a long time I'm going through Woody Allen movies, and I'm really enjoying them! First Take the Money and Run, which was really funny :biggrin: And then there was especially one scene in Everything you wanted to know about Sex but where afraid to ask, where that guy comes and says he's a love in a sheep, and there's this awkward silence. Then I just cracked up :rofl:
    Hannah and her Sisters were cute too.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  21. Oct 27, 2004 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I enjoy Kurosawa.

I am not really into anime...but I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure though, that I'll find 'Grave of the Fireflies' at Blockbuster.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?