Start a New Math Club: Ideas for Re-Launch

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary: The Math Club" would be too generic and "The Mathematical Undergraduate Problem Solving Group" might not be catchy enough. "The Club I Started Because I Wanted To Make My Resume Look Good"
torquerotates
Ok for some various reasons the math club that I was running got shut down. Now I'm trying to re-start it again. But I want to be its founder(it looks good to be the founder of a club). So what should I rename it? Any good ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Proved!
or variations ... Prove!

Hehe, I hope its not too corny?

Why not just call it "the math club"?

We just call ourselves The Mathematical Undergraduate Problem Solving Group...otherwise known as the group.

Seriously though, the name hardly matters. Your name should reflect what your group does (math) and if it's mostly a place to just talk about math or solve math problems or a mixture. Those who are interested will come(with good advertisements!)

Perpetual motion Squad.

It's more physics related than math and meant to be a joke. I'm wondering how many people here will get it..

You should make it sound like some sort corny and geeky band (i.e. the derivatives, Avogadro's army, etc.)

Edit: If you actually think I'm serious...

RyanSchw said:
Perpetual motion Squad.

It's more physics related than math and meant to be a joke. I'm wondering how many people here will get it..
I prefer Army Ants.

The Möbius Strip Club. :biggrin:

Hahaha :tongue:

RyanSchw said:
Perpetual motion Squad.

I think army ants would be a better name
EDIT:
damn it someone beat me to it
um, fine, but I do prefer AA to PMS, its more relevant to my life...

RyanSchw said:
Perpetual motion Squad.

Thats right, We can go all-night long! .. Yeah baby ! :D

How about "The Club I Started Because I Wanted To Make My Resume Look Good"?

oedipa maas said:
How about "The Club I Started Because I Wanted To Make My Resume Look Good"?

I like it. Straight to the point, meaningful, and really opens up to a lot of possible members, particularly business majors.

1. How do I generate interest for a new math club?

To generate interest for a new math club, you can start by reaching out to students who have shown a strong interest in math or have excelled in math classes. You can also advertise the club in school announcements, flyers, and social media platforms. Additionally, you can collaborate with teachers to promote the club and offer incentives for joining, such as extra credit or recognition.

2. What are some fun and engaging activities for a math club?

Some fun and engaging activities for a math club could include math puzzles, games, and competitions. You could also have group projects where students can apply their math skills to real-world problems, or invite guest speakers to talk about their careers in math-related fields.

3. How can I make the math club inclusive for all students?

To make the math club inclusive for all students, it is important to create a welcoming and inclusive environment. Encourage diversity and promote teamwork and collaboration among members. Offer a variety of activities to cater to different interests and skill levels. You could also have peer tutoring sessions where older students can help younger students with math concepts.

4. How can I secure funding for the math club?

To secure funding for the math club, you can reach out to your school administration or parent-teacher association for financial support. You could also apply for grants from organizations that support STEM education or reach out to local businesses for sponsorships. Additionally, you could organize fundraising events or sell math-related merchandise to raise funds for the club.

5. How can I keep the math club running successfully?

To keep the math club running successfully, it is important to have a dedicated and passionate group of students and teachers who are committed to the club. Continuously seek feedback from members and make necessary adjustments to keep the club engaging and relevant. Regularly promote the club and its activities to generate interest and maintain a consistent schedule for meetings and events.