Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Notepad replacement?

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    whats the best one? Im wanting something with syntax highlighting(view source in Firefox to see what I mean) and any other good html helping tools.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    is it good for html editing(does it do syntax highlighting or anything else helpful)

5. Feb 12, 2007 #4

-Job-

Science Advisor

I imagine you want something lighter than Dreamweaver.

6. Feb 13, 2007 #5
    yeah. lighter, easier to use(in terms of not needing to learn anything) and free

7. Feb 13, 2007 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Might not be the lightest option (certainly isn't), but install cygwin and make use of all the "real" non-originally-Win editors.

8. Feb 16, 2007 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

If you want an open-source text editor that has tons of cool features and is easy to learn and customize and you don't mind Java, jEdit is great. In fact, I've been trying for a while to switch from jEdit to Emacs (for various reasons), but if I'm in any kind of a hurry, I keep going back to jEdit because it's so headache-free to use. It's pretty too.

(If you go with jEdit and don't have the necessary runtime environment already, don't use their link to the full development kit. And don't pay any attention to the mess of acronyms (SDK, JDK, J2SE, etc.). The development kit is the runtime environment plus additional stuff (compiler and packages) that you don't need unless you are building Java programs. You only need the runtime environment, available here, which you likely already have.)

Emacs seems like it can do anything, but it also seems to take a lot of energy to customize and start using efficiently. I wouldn't go with Emacs unless, or until, you have time to read and learn before actually needing to use it much.

I used Cream (Vim) briefly, but there was nothing special about it either way. I can't imagine going back to Notepad. I think I would love jEdit if I didn't dislike Java so much right now. It's really a great program.

9. Feb 16, 2007 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?