Good Notepad replacement?

• Thread starter rock4christ
  • Start date
In summary: UI, "jEdit" is a Java-based text editor with a lot of features, whereas "Emacs" is a powerful, free, open-source text editor.
rock4christ
whats the best one? I am wanting something with syntax highlighting(view source in Firefox to see what I mean) and any other good html helping tools.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
For a great text editor, I use TextPad

www.textpad.com

is it good for html editing(does it do syntax highlighting or anything else helpful)

I imagine you want something lighter than Dreamweaver.

-Job- said:
I imagine you want something lighter than Dreamweaver.

yeah. lighter, easier to use(in terms of not needing to learn anything) and free

Might not be the lightest option (certainly isn't), but install cygwin and make use of all the "real" non-originally-Win editors.

If you want an open-source text editor that has tons of cool features and is easy to learn and customize and you don't mind Java, jEdit is great. In fact, I've been trying for a while to switch from jEdit to Emacs (for various reasons), but if I'm in any kind of a hurry, I keep going back to jEdit because it's so headache-free to use. It's pretty too.

(If you go with jEdit and don't have the necessary runtime environment already, don't use their link to the full development kit. And don't pay any attention to the mess of acronyms (SDK, JDK, J2SE, etc.). The development kit is the runtime environment plus additional stuff (compiler and packages) that you don't need unless you are building Java programs. You only need http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp [Broken], which you likely already have.)

Emacs seems like it can do anything, but it also seems to take a lot of energy to customize and start using efficiently. I wouldn't go with Emacs unless, or until, you have time to read and learn before actually needing to use it much.

I used Cream (Vim) briefly, but there was nothing special about it either way. I can't imagine going back to Notepad. I think I would love jEdit if I didn't dislike Java so much right now. It's really a great program.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What features should I look for in a good Notepad replacement?

A good Notepad replacement should have features such as syntax highlighting, auto-complete, multi-tab support, and the ability to work with large files. It should also have a user-friendly interface and be compatible with different operating systems.

2. Is it important for a Notepad replacement to have a customizable interface?

Yes, a customizable interface allows the user to personalize their experience and make the tool more efficient for their specific needs. This can include customizing the color scheme, font size, and keyboard shortcuts.

3. Are there any free options for Notepad replacement?

Yes, there are several free options available such as Notepad++, Atom, and Sublime Text. These tools offer many features and are constantly being updated by the community.

4. Can I use a Notepad replacement for coding?

Yes, many Notepad replacements are designed specifically for coding and offer features such as syntax highlighting and auto-complete to make coding easier and more efficient.

5. Can I transfer my existing text files to a Notepad replacement?

Most Notepad replacements allow you to transfer your existing text files easily. You can either open the files directly or import them into the tool. However, it is always recommended to make a backup of your files before transferring them.