Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good online explanation of OOP?

1. Dec 1, 2004 #1
    Hey guys

Does anyone know of an excellent online source that can explain the basics of OOP? I grew up not using OOP, just using the normal style of programming (and its' name escapes me now). You know, just line by line, ahh, yes, sequential.

I understand the very extreme basics, like a child class inside of a class can inherit properties from it's parent class. And I think methods are like procedures/functions. ..

I ask because I downloaded SharpDevelop and I'd like to start messing around in C#. I'm going to try a simple program just to get used to things. I see all these get and put methods, and it seems there are no variables anymore? I dunno.

Any links? Thank you kindly.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2004 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 2, 2004 #3
    The Object Oriented Analysis and Design book from Booch is almost the best guide to object orientation. But since you want sources from the www you can find this article very useful

There's another excellent source for those who got used to other programming paradigms such as structured programming, and want to transit to OOP. Indeed this is the article which my supervisors had suggested years ago to me to read and the one from which I learned OO concepts and their justification. I suggest you to read it all because it is also very entertaining.

Yes, there exist variables in OOP but they are called attributes and are embedded within objects. Public set and get methods are just needed to make these attributes accessible to other objects, because it's considered a good practice to put attributes as private. You can have intermediate variables also inside methods. In hybrid languages like C++ you can have them in main() or global outside main().
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?