1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good PDE book?

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    So I am currently a math undergraduate (senior though) taking an introduction partial differential equations. We are using the PDE book by Farlow (Dover reprint). It seems to be a solid book though my professor does diverge from the methods used in it fairly regularly (like not making assumptions they do, utilizing newer techniques, and small stuff like different notation).

I was wondering if anybody here had a recommendation on what another good intro book would be? I mainly want something that has more examples and problems to work, and a good explanation with respect to physical interpretation.

Two books I found are:
    1) Partial Differential Equations: Theory and Completely Solved Problems by Hillen et al.
    Pro: From the pages you are shown on Amazon they seem to utilize identical methods and notation as my class does.

2) Partial Differential Equations and Boundary-value Problems With Applications by Pinsky
    Pro: I used a book from the same series for my intro to real analysis, and I liked it.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Are you taking this course for physics major or math major or engineer major?

Cause accordingly the suggestions will be offered.

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    I am a math major. Sorry about that I'll edit the post to include it.

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I used Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems by Asmar. I liked it for a first course in PDE. Heavily focused on application side with some theory thrown in and if all you're looking for is method for solving some PDE with some motivation it served its purpose rather well.

6. Mar 10, 2013 #5

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Farlow is the most intuitive and relaxed PDE book I am aware of. Most books have much more theory, proofs, discussions of Sturm-Liouville theory, etc. So if you are looking for a few examples along the lines of Farlow perhaps math methods for physics / engineering type books may be the place to look. Check your library for titles like, "advanced engineering math" or "math methods for physicists". One example is the very good (and free!) book by Nearing:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted