What is the Best Pen for Everyday Use?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, a pen user likes the Bic Classic Fine, but would like a pen that is wetter and has the same features.
pivoxa15
Does anyone have a favourate brand of pen that they always use? Economy is also an issue I guess. I don't like pens that produce deep marks (i.e wet too easily) for some reason. I like fine tiped pens. At the moment, mine favourite is the Bic Classic Fine which you can buy in a pack and is economical. However the down side is that it is a tad too dry at times. Anyone know a pen that is a tad wetter than this one but has the same features?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what brand the disposable ones are that I like...they appeared in the lab when someone in the office ordered them, and are nice for a ballpoint pen (little bit of cushiony grip, and smooth ink flow, not that dry, scratchy feel a lot of cheaper pens have). If they haven't all been swiped by the pen thieves, I'll look for one later. I think those are Bic pens.

Otherwise, the one I prefer isn't a "cheap" pen, but it isn't that much compared to the more expensive, "fancy" pens. I like the Dr Grip pen. You can get a variety of types of ink for it. I prefer the rollerball pens (they do have a fine point as well as medium point...I like the bold lines of the medium point, but if you prefer a fine point, they have that, which can sometimes be hard to find in a rollerball), but you can also get it in a ballpoint version. These are refillable. Here's an example.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IEC0/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Ink is reasonably priced for them. When writing a lot in a day, it's really nice to have that soft, cushiony grip (one of the softest grips I've found...most are a hard rubbery plastic, this one has more of a squishy silicone), and the pen has a nice weight to it. The other nice thing is the ink isn't that runny, drippy, typical rollerball ink that smudges on everything. It's a little thicker, and more like a ballpoint ink (ah, looking around, it seems they call it a "gel ink"). The only problem I have is keeping away the pen thieves. But, it looks enough like a "good" pen that people usually realize you expect to get it back. :wink:

They also make a cheaper pen that uses the same ink, so if you want to get a $1-2 pen to see if you like the ink first, they have those.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current favorite "cheap" pen is a Pilot EasyTouch. Even the Medium tip puts down a fine line and it writes nicely with very little pressure, even on fairly slick surfaces. Pluses are 1) it has a rubber grip cushion with a rounded triangular profile (easy to grasp even if the arthritis is acting up) and 2) it is retractable, so there is no cap to lose, and 3) the barrel is threaded so you can buy refills and replace them when the ink runs out. Lastly, they are cheap enough so that you won't be out too much $$ when the office pen thief strikes or you misplace it.

BobG said:
You should try this website: http://www.penisland.net/

They sell some very nice pens.

Dont dip your pen in the company ink.

Ive been using the bic atlantis pens and like them alot. They are pretty cheap too, which is always nice.

trajan22 said:
Ive been using the bic atlantis pens and like them alot. They are pretty cheap too, which is always nice.
They are nice pens. If you like them, try the Pilot EasyTouch pens. I'll bet you'll be hooked. They're only about a buck apiece, too.

turbo-1 said:
try the Pilot EasyTouch pens. I'll bet you'll be hooked. They're only about a buck apiece, too.

Thanks for the tip, turbo. Right now I like the UniBall Vision Elite, but I'll pick up the one you suggested to try it out.

Okay, I found one of the ones I like in the lab today. It's a Bic Soft Feel. The ones we have are medium point, so I don't know if they sell that in a fine point and how those write, but I like the medium point one for a cheap pen (as you might have gathered, I work with a bunch of pen thieves, so keep anything that's not cheap very closely guarded).

turbo-1 said:
They are nice pens. If you like them, try the Pilot EasyTouch pens. I'll bet you'll be hooked. They're only about a buck apiece, too.

Ill try and remember that next time I buy pens, though it will probably be a while since I use pencils 90% of the time.

berkeman said:
Thanks for the tip, turbo. Right now I like the UniBall Vision Elite, but I'll pick up the one you suggested to try it out.
I have arthritis that bothers me mostly when the barometric pressure drops or when my immune system flares up from exposure to fragrance chemicals. When I write a lot, I want a pen that I can cradle (not have to grasp) and not have to press down hard to write to avoid pain/cramping. These are pretty darn good for pens that run $1 each or less in quantity.

A good grip seems to be important. I haven't used comfy grips before and accumulated blisters on my middle finger. So I had to change my writing grip/style so that the tips of my forefinger, middle finger are pressing down and thumb is pressing up on the pen instead of the usual way of thumb and forefinger on top with the middle finger on the bottom. With my new style though, a round grip wouldn't be good.

What kind of pens would be good if price wasn't much of a factor? You might suggest fountain pens but I don't like pens that are too runy mainly because they diffuse outwards making the strokes seem fatter.

Last edited:
Zebra F402 is a fun pen.

pivoxa15 said:
What kind of pens would be good if price wasn't much of a factor? You might suggest fountain pens but I don't like pens that are too runy mainly because they diffuse outwards making the strokes seem fatter.
If you don't care about price, but always want a pen handy when you need it, you could get a Fisher Space Pen. I keep one in my pants pocket all the time - they are very compact when closed up. The refills are quite pricey, though. For comfort, light weight, very light writing pressure, and ink that can write on something as slick as a credit card, the Pilot Easy Touch is my favorite. The fact that you can buy a box of 12 for about $10 is pretty nice, too. My sister-in-law worked in the office of a telecommunications company, and she was always giving me very nice promotional pens that salesmen gave her, including fat pens, heavy pens, light pens - I give them a try, but end up with the Pilot. I jot a lot of little notes on Post-its and most ball-point pens stall when you try to write near the top where there is residue from the adhesive from the previous sheet. The Pilot writes there with no problem.

Anyone tried the BIC Classic Fine?

I use Uniball signo pens. I bought them because someone left one behind at the computer lab last semester. I used it and liked how the ink flows well so I bought a pack. Man, it was like 10 bucks for 6 pens. I use them because they show up very bold and dark. They also have some sort of certification for writing checks, but I don't write checks so its useless to me in that regard.

http://www.mtm-officetraders.de/images/FAC_1422_3Farben.jpg

But I don't use pens much. I use them when I am flying to write down frequencies and sqawks because its easier to see than pencil.

BobG said:

Am I the only one who noticed? :grumpy:

The Dr Grip seems a bit heavy. Don't people think that is a down side?

JasonRox said:

No, you are not.

I use a parker fountain pen. Ironically, it may actually be cheaper than buying ball pens. The ink lasts quite a while. Dunno if the prices are the same where you live, but a bottle of Quink (parker ink) is about 25 rs (50 cents), and a normal ball pen costs 6 rs to 10 rs.

I take that back... I just checked Parker prices online... they are WAY cheaper here... A decent parker costs about $7 (usd), and a really good one is for about $10.

pivoxa15 said:
The Dr Grip seems a bit heavy. Don't people think that is a down side?

It's well-balanced. When writing all day, you don't want a cheap, lightweight pen, you want something that has a little weight to it so you don't have to press so hard to write.

BobG said:

Hahaha. Best parsing joke ever. I need to get my hands on some of those.

I have used nothing but Papermate http://www.papermate.com/sanford/consumer/papermate/jhtml/product/product_detail.jhtml?attributeId=SN385_ATT000002&currentType=SNTYPE004&nextType=noValue&categoryType=SNTYPE001&categoryAttributeId=SNATT10013&resetAttribute=SNATT20016&resetType=SNTYPE002" medium ballpoint pens since I was 16 or 17. They're light and write smoothly. I have them in all sort of colors: red, orange, green, blue, purple, black.

(http://independentsources.com/2006/07/12/worst-company-urls/")

Smooth rolling, black pens. Ones that double for sketching.

My favourite has always been the Uniball Micro. Some people find them too skinny, but that's the way I like my pens.

I've realized that what is best suited to me is a good or best quality ballpoint pen avaliable with a fine tip. I've tried the UniBall Vision Elite but it is too runy as it is rollerball. Can't find the Pilot Easy Touch in my area. Is it rollerball? The Dr Grip seems only to have medium point available.

Can anyone name some best quality ballpoint pens?

Last edited:
JasonRox said:
From the looks of it, I think there was a contest to see who cracks first.

Sanford® Uniball Micro or Pilot Razor Point

1. What makes a pen good for everyday use?

A good pen for everyday use should have a comfortable grip, a reliable ink flow, and be durable enough to withstand frequent use. It should also be versatile enough to write on different types of surfaces.

2. What type of ink is best for an everyday use pen?

The best type of ink for an everyday use pen is one that dries quickly and is resistant to smudging and bleeding. Some popular options include ballpoint, gel, and rollerball inks.

3. Is it worth investing in a more expensive pen for everyday use?

It depends on your personal preferences and needs. While a more expensive pen may offer better quality and durability, a cheaper pen may still be suitable for everyday use. Consider your budget and how often you will be using the pen before making a decision.

4. Can a pen be both stylish and practical for everyday use?

Yes, there are many pens available that combine both style and practicality. Look for pens with sleek designs and comfortable grips that also have reliable ink flow and durability.

5. How do I choose the best pen for my specific needs?

Consider the type of writing you do, your budget, and any other preferences you may have (such as ink color or pen style). It may also be helpful to read reviews and try out different pens before making a decision.