1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Physics and Engineering Books

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone, I have been browsing this site for a while and finally decided to make an account. I was curious what your opinions were on textbooks for an undergraduate mathematician and computer scientist who is looking to learn more advanced physics and engineering on the side.
    I have take courses in all of the basics of calculus, including vector calculus and multivariable functions, complex and real analysis, ODEs, mathematical modeling, and the two introductory physics courses my university offers (focusing on the basics of kinematics, dynamics, and electromagnetism).
    Specifically, I was looking for an introductory textbooks in Modern Physics, Astrophysics, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, and Quantum Physics (I will mostly like not even attempt to read this one until I finish with the modern physics one). I have found a couple of textbooks that sound like they may be good for an introductory learner:
    Modern Physics by Randy Harris.
    Foundations of Astrophysics by Bradley Peterson
    I wasn't sure on the other subjects, but are these acceptable for a math major to start with?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted