1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Good physics books

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    (special thanks to micromass and everyone who helped me or answered my questions about calculus books).

now i need a book or books about Classical or modern or general physics.

any help??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 19, 2015 #3
  5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
    is there another books??
    i want textbooks

6. Apr 19, 2015 #5
  7. Apr 19, 2015 #6
  8. Apr 19, 2015 #7
    Hello, I've already got the Douglas C. Giancoli 4th edition physics book, but I'm looking for something I can use for a reference that has more detail and goes more in-depth. If you know anything I'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

9. Apr 19, 2015 #8
    merrill physics principles and problems goes into a lot of detail

10. Apr 19, 2015 #9
    friend if you really want to thank the replier you can like his reply.

11. Apr 19, 2015 #10
    can you tell me about this textbook (physics for scientists and engineers 8th edition).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  12. Apr 19, 2015 #11
    You can find these on the used market for a handful of dollars.

Intro to physics in general: French, "Newtonian Mechanics"
    Mechanics: Kleppner & Kolenkov, "Introduction to Mechanics"
    EM: Kip, "Fundamentals of electricity and magnetism"
    Waves: French, "Vibrations and Waves"
    All-in-one tome: Ohanian, "Physics", 2nd edition

13. Apr 20, 2015 #12
    thank you srednivashtar.
    please can you tell me about this textbook (physics for scientists and engineers 8th edition)?
    i want to find a good physics textbook for My cousin is is in college studying Physics.

14. Apr 20, 2015 #13
    The problem is the OP does not yet know Calculus. Kleppner is requires at least calculus 2. Solid books I may add. My friends favorite book is French and Purcell tw.

15. Apr 20, 2015 #14
    I would suggest trying to learn calculus before you begin to do anything else.

16. Apr 20, 2015 #15
    PLEASE can anyone tell me which textbook is good??? PLEASE. PLEASE .PLEASE

17. Apr 20, 2015 #16
  18. Apr 20, 2015 #17
  19. Apr 20, 2015 #18
    thank all of you for help.

20. Apr 20, 2015 #19
  21. Apr 20, 2015 #20
    I was misled by the fact the the OP thanked other posters for their help with calculus books.
    Physics without calculus? Ugh!
    Well, French uses the minimum amount possible of calculus. Really, the bare minimum.

But in general, I believe it's simpler and more fruitful to learn calculus and then physics than trying to study physics without calculus. There's too much hoop jumping there.

BTW, I do like Purcell, but Kip has a more traditional approach, better suited IMHO for a beginner (also, you can buy it for less than ten bucks). Purcell can come after Kip (or equivalent text, even the EM part of Ohanian) and some basic introduction to special relativity.
    But physics without calculus??? Brrr.... Makes my skin crawl.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted