Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good programming forum?

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    Whenever I do a search on the web about something specific in C++, I get like tons of hits from many different forums. I want to join a forum that is like specifically for programmers to communicate and where there are lots of people who answer questions about C++ and Java and other languages. It seems like there just way to many such forums...does anybody know of a good one?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2
  4. Oct 4, 2008 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 4, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

www.stackoverflow.com is the new great programming forum.
    You can ask questions, you can even answer them without signing up.
    If you do signup there is a reputation system like here to judge people's reply
  6. Oct 5, 2008 #5
    daniweb.com is great
  7. Oct 13, 2008 #6

Its speciality is Visual Basic but it has many C, C++, C#, Java, etc. members and their own sub forums.
  8. Oct 13, 2008 #7

You could use the news groups: comp.lang.c++
    This groups is dedicate to C++ language, If you want to discuss Java, there is another comp.lang.java
    It could be access by news clients or Google groups.
  9. Oct 14, 2008 #8
    Hi, i m fighting with 3d fem but have done some part of 3d fem for solid cylinder. the stiffness matrix is not coming as it should be. there should be 5 lines in sparse matrix. but it is coming 2 more lines in outer side. and the sparse matrix is near singular or showing badly scaled . anybody can help. anybody can help for assembling the local matrices to global.
  10. Oct 15, 2008 #9
    I didn't know there was a reputation system here.
  11. Oct 15, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, in a different way. The problem is to have some way of judging the reliability of answers based on the reputation of the poster.

Here you have badges mentor/science advisor/etc and a post count to know if a user is likely to be posting reliable answers. You can also of course read the board for a while to know that if Astronuc posts something about nuclear engineering it will probably be correct, (and if I post something about maths it will probably be wrong!)

It's a little more tricky on a software board because it's harder to judge if an answer is correct without having the background knowledge yourself - in which case you wouldn't need to ask! This is the problem that killed most comp.* groups.
    Stackoverflow has an automatic points system where your answer get voted up/down by other members and you gain more moderator powers as your votes balance increases.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?