Good programs that allow for overclocking via Windows?

In summary: It's called "overclocking" because the features are already on the card, it's just turned off. It's like turning up the volume on a stereo that's been turned down. Now...I don't know what the probability distribution would look like for a given batch of silicon but I imagine there is enough variance to allow for certain chips to overclock well beyond what the manufacture has set for the mean of the sample. Besides that, you can overclock the hell out of chips and maintain a very stable system. Of course the law of diminishing returns makes this a rather expensive process if you plan on making a serious difference.
grant555

Are there any good programs that allow for overclocking via Windows?

Computer science news on Phys.org
See:

http://overclockers.com/

Overclocking is hardware/bios based not software.

grant555 said:

Good programs are not free...

DrMark said:
See:

http://overclockers.com/

hah, :wink: agree :wink:

Emieno said:

Thanks for the reply, but I don't mind paying for the software if it could do the job with less hassle. I think I will just google it and read enough until I feel comfortable to tackle the bios. Thanks again.

try telling that to GNU

grant555 said:

My understanding of overclocking is that it's not a good idea: you're pushing the system beyond the manufacturer's recommened operating range. Does this not compromise the robustness of your application?

saltydog said:
Does this not compromise the robustness of your application?

It depends on a lot of factors...the manufacture is not always honest about the product he is selling you. For example, ATI will sell the same GPU chip in two or three different video cards. The most expensive card having all the features turned on and then they are turned off as you go down the line. However, the features are still there...What does that mean for you? It depends but for sure you will be able to do some healthy overclocking without compromising your system.

Now...I don't know what the probability distribution would look like for a given batch of silicon but I imagine there is enough variance to allow for certain chips to overclock well beyond what the manufacture has set for the mean of the sample.

Besides that, you can overclock the hell out of chips and maintain a very stable system. Of course the law of diminishing returns makes this a rather expensive process if you plan on making a serious difference.

One last thing...the average useful life of silicon makes worrying about an early death a complete waste of time. By the time your overclocked cpu is ready to die, it will cost about 10 bucks to replace it.

Regards

Townsend said:
It depends on a lot of factors...the manufacture is not always honest about the product he is selling you. For example, ATI will sell the same GPU chip in two or three different video cards. The most expensive card having all the features turned on and then they are turned off as you go down the line. However, the features are still there...What does that mean for you? It depends but for sure you will be able to do some healthy overclocking without compromising your system.

Now...I don't know what the probability distribution would look like for a given batch of silicon but I imagine there is enough variance to allow for certain chips to overclock well beyond what the manufacture has set for the mean of the sample.

Besides that, you can overclock the hell out of chips and maintain a very stable system. Of course the law of diminishing returns makes this a rather expensive process if you plan on making a serious difference.

One last thing...the average useful life of silicon makes worrying about an early death a complete waste of time. By the time your overclocked cpu is ready to die, it will cost about 10 bucks to replace it.

Regards

Well said indeed. There are many kernels of truth in this thread.

DrMark said:

This is definently true.. but if you have an nForce chipset on your mobo then you can use the program nTune. I find it works pretty good, although it can't unlock multipliers or do anything to serious. I think you can also use the program fanspeed to monitor and prehaps change? your system..

do people overclock laptops as much as desktops?

I guess that by overclocking a laptop it would probably affect your battery life as well.

exequor said:
do people overclock laptops as much as desktops?

I guess that by overclocking a laptop it would probably affect your battery life as well.
Heat dissipation is a critical issue for laptops and it is unwise to overclock them. In fact, virtually all laptops self-underclock for the purpose of heat reduction and battery life.

Townsend said:
...the manufacture is not always honest about the product he is selling you. For example, ATI will sell the same GPU chip in two or three different video cards. The most expensive card having all the features turned on and then they are turned off as you go down the line. However, the features are still there...What does that mean for you? It depends but for sure you will be able to do some healthy overclocking without compromising your system.
Actually, that's a different issue. Turning on disabled features is not overclocking. I also would not call it dishonest. You are getting what you pay for - in fact, if you can re-enable those features, you're getting more.

Overclocking is simply a biproduct of the fact that the quality of electronics varies and components are made in batches. The rating on the chip reflects only the minimum conditions under which it is guaranteed to operate. A great deal of the time, those conditions can be exceeded safely, but it would take an enormous effort to test for it at the manufacturing plant and simply isn't practical.

russ_watters said:
Actually, that's a different issue. Turning on disabled features is not overclocking.
No, trust me, I know what I am taking about on this on...take a look at the Radeon 9800 pro and the 9800 xt. In the later chips they both had the exact same gpu...what was the difference between the xt and the pro? the memory chips, pcb board and the bios that was flashed on the gpu. You could overclock the 9800 pro to the same levels as the stock xt or higher depending on your luck. But you could also flash the cpu to r350 core and turn on one more feature.

Then there was the ati 9500 pro gpu...which in some cases was the same as the 9700 pro gpu with certain buses disabled...you could do a hard mod or a soft mod to turn these on. However the gpu's were not exactly the same...they are the same but not from the same fab process IIRC and as such the 9500 did not overclock to the 9700 pro gpu frequencies.

I also would not call it dishonest. You are getting what you pay for - in fact, if you can re-enable those features, you're getting more.

It's dishonest but not in a bad way...you are suppose to be getting one thing but you're in fact getting something much better. Howevere, I do agree that you're getting what you paid for and by re-enabling disabled features you're getting more than you paid for.

Overclocking is simply a biproduct of the fact that the quality of electronics varies and components are made in batches. The rating on the chip reflects only the minimum conditions under which it is guaranteed to operate. A great deal of the time, those conditions can be exceeded safely, but it would take an enormous effort to test for it at the manufacturing plant and simply isn't practical.

Not to sound crass but you're just saying the same thing I said...but it's nice to have people who agree with you.

Cheers

1. What is overclocking and why is it important?

Overclocking is the process of increasing the clock speed of a computer's central processing unit (CPU) to make it run faster than its default speed. This can improve overall performance and allow for more demanding tasks to be completed. However, it can also put more strain on the hardware and may void the warranty of the computer.

2. Are there any risks associated with overclocking?

Yes, there are risks associated with overclocking. It can cause the computer to overheat, potentially damaging components. There is also a risk of instability and crashes if the overclocking is not done properly. It is important to carefully monitor temperatures and make sure the overclocking is within safe limits.

3. What are some good programs for overclocking via Windows?

Some popular programs for overclocking via Windows include MSI Afterburner, Gigabyte EasyTune, and Asus AI Suite. These programs offer user-friendly interfaces and allow for easy adjustments to clock speeds, voltage, and other settings to achieve higher performance.

4. Can I overclock any computer?

No, not all computers are capable of being overclocked. It depends on the hardware and BIOS capabilities of the computer. It is important to do research and make sure your computer's components are suitable for overclocking before attempting it.

5. Is overclocking worth it?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and the intended use of the computer. Overclocking can provide a noticeable performance boost for tasks such as gaming or video editing. However, it may not be necessary for everyday use and can come with potential risks. It is important to weigh the potential benefits and risks before deciding if overclocking is worth it for your specific needs.