Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Qualities To Have

1. May 15, 2006 #1
    I'm curious as to what people consider good qualities to have. By "good" I mean beneficial to you as an individual, things that help you through problems, to achieve goals, to face adversity, to survive and even thrive: qualities you're glad you have or wish you had.

I'll go first here. Qualities I think are good to have are alertness and perceptiveness, courage, humor and thoughtfullness.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are all good. To add to it, stick-to-it-iveness (or tenacity). Nobody achieves anything without running into some failures along the way, so you have to be able to just pick up and keep going after every set-back and not give up.

4. May 15, 2006 #3

J77

Laid-back-ness :smile: :cool:

5. May 15, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But not too much. It does no good to get riled up about every little thing, but get too laid back and nothing ever gets done.

6. May 15, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Perseverance or steadfastness.

In relationships - that is expressed as loyalty, which is related to trustworthiness, honesty and integrity.

Zooby has a very good list - and related to that is "considerate".

I would add "Kind", which goes well with thoughtful, considerate and laid-backness.

7. May 15, 2006 #6
    Honest, someone who is trust worthy

8. May 15, 2006 #7

J77

Doers, not moaners.

9. May 15, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I will add, cunning, as if you are not cunning you may not survive to be honest, trustworthy, kind etc.

10. May 15, 2006 #9
    tolerant, doesn't fall in anger easily, thinking, and all others that were mentioned already.

11. May 15, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with you and Astro - the ole hare and turtle.

Well...not to say that MB and Astro are the ole hare and turtle... :biggrin: But for me, persistence is everything.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  12. May 15, 2006 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mama always said, "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.":smile:

I'll go along with virtue of persistance/perseverance/stick-to-it-tiveness as well. I love this particular quote:

13. May 15, 2006 #12

Astronuc

I was shocked to find laid-backness in the Merriam-Webster's online dictionary. And I was more shocked by the adds associated with 'laid'. :rolleyes:

Perseverant is the adjective that goes with perseverance, btw.

Word for the day btw -

sedulous
    \SEJ-uh-luss\ adjective
    1 : involving or accomplished with careful perseverance
    2 : diligent in application or pursuit

Diligence is a good quality.

14. May 15, 2006 #13
    A tiny bit or arrogance and a load of raw determination.

15. May 15, 2006 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. Note, I was talking about the "virtue of perseverance".

16. May 15, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Yeah, I know you were.

My mind was straying as it usually does, and I was just curious about the forms of words. I was looking for "perseverity", but apparently that does not exist. Instead the noun is perseverance.

But laid-backness? There has to be a better sounding term, but all I could find was 'easy-going' or 'relaxed', which seem appropriate, but miss the nuance of being laid-back.

17. May 16, 2006 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think being well-balanced is perhaps the most important trait. A little bit of every good asset is worth more than a lot of one particular one.

18. May 16, 2006 #17
    I'm discovering I didn't aim the question accurately enough at all. Rather than trying to create some kind of consensus list that might be reccomended to anyone, I am looking for each person's personal recipe: the good qualities they, individually, see in themselves or aspire to attain. I somehow ended up inplying there might be a right and wrong blanket list to be uncovered, whereas I was hoping for five or six qualities from each respondent that revealed something about their individual temperment. Instead of discovering that person A and person B agree that perseverence is good, I was hoping to find things to explain why person A and person B aren't the same person; because A highly values, say, creativity, whereas B values stability, and so on.

19. May 16, 2006 #18
    I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned patience. I think that is my best quality, but to a lot of people it may come across as a negative one - I might seen undefensive of my position on subjects or viewed as lazy or uninterested during a debate for instance.

I cannot say there are many other qualities besides that for me.

20. May 16, 2006 #19
    First, I was humble.

Then, I usually always expressed good manners to all beings whether or not those beings expressed good manners to me.

Upon that foundation, I acquired many good qualities, including and not limited to mental awareness, and the ability to make many extrapolations upon one truth, and mental insight, and perseverance, and confidence, and good timing.

Patience was a difficult one, but that goes hand-in-hand with good timing.

Imagine the planet if everyone intended to lay the same foundation.

21. May 16, 2006 #20

Astronuc

I think patience is implied in peseverance, somewhat. Nevertheless, patience is a virtue.

However, if I have to wait, I go do something else. I don't like waiting around. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?