Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good quantum field theory text?

1. Feb 16, 2004 #1
    could anyone suggest a good quantum field theory text?
    i mean a text for a beginner who is familiar with basic quantum mechanics.....also, since i am going to study it by myself( i am not taking a physics course ), a text that is simple in language and informal would be great.(i mean, like griffith's qm and electrodynamics)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2004 #2
    Of course, Feynmann's "real" QFT book is good, not the layman's book. However, for actual work, I can suggest two books. First, for phenomenology, I suggest G. Kane's "Modern Elementary Particle Physics." While not a FT book in its own right, it does cover a large amount of "effective" field theory, and gives you just enough to calculate things. Second, for a rigorous approach, I suggest M. Peskin and Schroeder "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory."

Some links:

Kane's Book and,

Peskin & Schroeder :wink:

-F

4. Feb 16, 2004 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest one of the following texts for QFT:

Quantum Field Theory, Mandl and Shaw;

Field Theories in Particle Physics, Aitchison and Hey;

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics, Bjorken and Drell;

Advanced Quantum Mechanics, J J Sakurai.

Anyone of the above are decent to read and with some effort you can work thru it and learn something. I recently picked up one of these books and started reading it, I was suprised as to how much started coming back after not working in QFT for almost 10 years.

5. Feb 17, 2004 #4
    I also liked Lewis H. Ryder's book "Quantum Field Theory".

6. Feb 17, 2004 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And I'll add three recent ones.

Hatfield, Quantum Field Theories of Point Particles and Strings. Has some excellent explanations, but assumes a high level of mathematical maturity. A good "second book" to have.

Peskin & Schroeder, Introduction to Quantum Field Theory. Probably the most used text in grad school intro to QFT courses. Emphasis on doing the work, getting results, less on subtleties of interpretation or rigor.

Kaku, Quantum Field Theory. Well written, but maybe goes to fast. Covers a great deal of material, but assumes maturity. A good reference.

There is a recent book on QFT for condensed matter physicists, it seemed well written, but I only scanned it in the book store, and can't remember the name or author.

Finally, Weinberg, the Nobel Prize winning physicist (for Elerctroweak Theory), has a trilogy of big books on QFT, up through strings, that aim to be the last word. I have never worked with them so I can't comment, but I know there are others here that can.

7. Feb 19, 2004 #6

jeff

Science Advisor

For what you're looking for, it doesn't (and likely couldn't) get better than Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell by A. Zee. In fact it's the only text that meets your requirements.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  8. Feb 20, 2004 #7
    cyclotron boy,
    could you please specify the name of the text by feynman on qft?
    i searched amazon.com but couldn't spot it out...do ou mean the book by fenman and weinberg...'dirac memorial lectures' or something?

9. Feb 20, 2004 #8
    Feynmann

The two books I speak of are "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter," and "Quantum Electrodynamics (Advanced Book Classics)." The first one is a rather lightweight introduction in terms of technical details and calculational difficulty. It is, however, an excellent introduction to a rather hard-to-grasp field. The second one is a far more useful text. However, it is important to keep in mind that as with any Feynmann book, you can't really gain the entire depth and detail from his book alone. I would suggest using it in conjunction with Peskin and Schroeder.

10. Feb 20, 2004 #9
    thanks...
    i have with me the book QED: Strange theory of light and matter. I'll look for the other one...how about Sakurai?

11. Feb 21, 2004 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

...how about Sakurai?

If you mean the well known text by Sakurai, it's not a quantum field book.

12. Feb 21, 2004 #11
    sakurai has two texts, one quantum mechanics, and one quantum field theory. one is advanced quantum mechanics, and the other is modern quantum mechanics, i forget which is which.

13. Feb 22, 2004 #12
    'advanced qm' is a field is a text on relativistic qm and 'mordern qm' is a text on ordinary "classical qm"( what do you call the non-relativistic qm??!)

anybody please, how is sakurai?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?